My college crisis...iv been a slacker! now what.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: My college crisis...iv been a slacker! now what.
By Xyoubuildmeupx (Xyoubuildmeupx) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:18 am: Edit

ok, here is the sum of all of it:

iv spent 6 years at a private middle/high school that was extremely hypocritical, forceful and restraining. i was looked at as the "bad kid" and "rebel". nevertheless, i didnt like high school so much and it was definitly reflected in my grades. im smart, i just never applied myself. i didnt care about college until recently when my life dramatically changed by the quick death of my father in his fight with cancer. i live in california and have my whole life, but since our loss my mother would like to move to new jersey. my wish is to attend school here in cali. all my friends that have gone of to college say they love it. i really want a part of that and feel to need to finally try to get my life back together or even start a new one. i dont want to go to a community college but know my grades arent good enough, even for a state school. i have my transcript right next to me and my GPA upon graduation was 2.86. addmissions for what seems to be all the state school says you have to pass each class with at least a "C" or better. does that mean each semester or finishing the year with that "C"? and what do i do if im lacking in a requirement? my school only required 2 years of any math course, and im pretty sure i need three, math being my absolute weakest subject. i feel completely overwhelmed and lost and not to mention just left out of what i should be a part of - college life. it sucks when you knew you should have listened to your parents when they said to work your hardest, look where it got me. does anyone have any advice for me? im really in desperate need of help. thanks.

By Crumbledsugar (Crumbledsugar) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:29 am: Edit

Try going to a community or state college (an easier one to get into, obviously), get all As, and transfer. My religion teacher knows a girl that transferred from community college to Wharton, so anything's possible. :)

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:53 am: Edit

Hmmm...just to tell you that you are not the only one. I, too, have made the same mistake in my highschool years. I graduated this year, and I am taking a gap year to work and do a little bit of SAT studying. Ergo, I just want to tell you that I know how you feel and I can seriously say that I can "share your pain." It does really suck when you ask your friends how college life is and they all say, "its f***ing awesome." I think that is what hurts me the most. Not doing my best during highschool and saying to myself, ""if I only tried harder I could be doing the same "college life" myself""
its quite pathetic really though.
Well, enough about me bit**ing. I advice you to start studying for the SAT's. Study like hell for the SAT's and get a good score. Im hoping this will cancel out my mediocre GPA. Also, write a good essay. Why not make an essay about your mistakes and regrets so far and how you will not repeat them or something. (just a suggestion) Well, I think thats about it. Good luck!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

You absolutely DO have a shot at the cal state schools, even with your GPA (which isn't all that dreadful). Take another look at the admissions requirements at www.calstate.edu. They use a formula as follows: GPA x 800 + SAT score. The GPA used does not include your ninth grade scores so drop them out and recalculate. Your total score needs to be at least 2900. If you haven't taken the SAT, with your GPA you need to score just 600 total on it to qualify for acceptance. Now, there is an issue of your math classes - you do need at least 3 years of math with a C or better but you can easily rectify that by either taking a night class at an adult ed program or a class at a community college. The site above also lists the other classes required - if you're missing anything, now is the time to fix it - and sign up to take the SAT now as well.

There are 23 schools in the cal state system --- but you won't be able to get in for the spring sememster as most schools have a freeze on new students coming in for the spring semester due to the budget crisis. You can, however, apply for the fall. If you want to pay in-state tuition, however, don't move to New Jersey! Stay here! Perhaps you could work to earn some money for tuition while you take a few make-up courses at night. But this is a VERY do-able plan for you!

In terms of private schools, you might look at Whittier, Chapman University, Azuza Pacific, the University of Redlands, the University of the Pacific, and St. Mary's College of California. You'd have a shot at all of these schools and they might not mind the math if you can get good recommendations and do decently on your SATs. They are all private schools but you may qualify for financial aid.

Good luck - I'm always glad to hear about people who've decided they want to push themselves to do better. Just remember, it's never too late until they're shoveling the dirt into your grave!

By Perry (Perry) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

One added note to Carolyn's excellent post. Once you do get into college,it's a new ball game. You start over from scratch. Make sure you do your best, however, because it counts from thereon after. Good luck to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page