Does language skill helps?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Does language skill helps?
By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

Hey, guys. I'm just getting a little paranoid about college admission. Could you guys just write down some comments?

First of all, I'm a Korean who came to the US 3 years ago. Before that, I've lived in South America for 13 years. So, I speak three languages fluently: Korean, Spanish, English.
Right now, I attend one of the most prestigious private school in the USA. (this year about 50% of the graduates got into IVY-level colleges) This year, I want to apply to Harvard, Yale, and other IVYs, but could you guys write down comments based on Harvard and Yale admission? Desired major is either Business or Biology.

Classes:
9th grade in Public High in NY
Honors English
Precalculus
Honors History
AVG 98.5 (unweighted)

10th grade in private
AP Euro History (4)
AP BC Calculus Honor (4)

11th grade in private
AP Physics (prolly 4)
AP US history (definitely 4)
AP Spanish Lang (definitely 5)
AP Statistics (definitely 5)
AVG in private 3.6(pretty good in this school. Upper 10%) without freshman grade

12th grade courses in private
AP Honor Biology
AP Econ (micro/macro)
AP level English
Japanese
AP Music

SATs
SAT 1550 (M:800, V:750)
SATIIs (Span, Math IIc, Writing)--> Guessing over 750 or 800

EC:
9th
Technician in Comp Store
Translator in major Eyeglass show (1000$/3days)
Piano Concert at school

10th
Project V.O.I.C.E. (Teaching strategies to public middleschool students how to gain their rights)
Korean Society
International Society
Asian Society

Summer '02
UPENN Summer course (ECON, B)
Kenyan Mission Trip (My writing about it was published in one of the major Korean newspaper, and in 3 other churches' newspapers.)

11th
Founded and led Animation Club
Korean Society
International Society
Asian Society
Computer technician at school
Christian Fellowship
Korean Outreach (teaching Korean cultures to Korean adoptees)
Tought Spanish to local public middle school hispanic students

Summer '03
Full time work in a retail shop.

12th
Leading Christian Fellowship
Leading Animation Club
Leading Korean Outreach
Asian Club
Korean Society
International Society
Computer technician at school
Key (orientation leader)

This is pretty much everything. Just consider RECs and essays would be pretty good. I'm learning Japanese by myself. Please be candid, I wouldn't seriously mind. Thanks a lot. Good luck to everyone.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:15 am: Edit

with a name like that, you have to get in.

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Haha, what does that suppose to mean?

By Dkm (Dkm) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

u have good shot..being korean wont help though

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 05:33 pm: Edit

your name is like mine, and i am great!!!

But seriously language skills are not gonna help(i think).
I'm armenian and i lived 12 years in armenia and 2 in russia when i apply to college i will have been in the US for 3. I am hoping for my essay to be good, i'm gonna describe my experiences in different cutlures and stuff.

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

yea, I also thought being Korean wouldn't help me that much. But, I think the fact that I lived in Paraguay will help me a bit. Guys from Swarthmore and Yale were really interested. I'm counting on that.

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

no from what i kno if u lived in a diff country for so long it should help u, i mean adapting to life here and being able to do that well in english is very impressive, it obviously shows ur bright(or very hardworking) so thats gotta count for somthing

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

well, you state that half your class will get into and attend an Ivy. You are in the upper 10% of your class. The logical conclusion is that you should stop worrying

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Thanks. Jim junior. Right now I am aiming for Harvard, and we got like 90 people applying to that school just from my school. Thant kinda freaks me out. From 90 usually only around 20 gets in. It's tough chance.

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Also, could you guys tell me my chance for Stanford, Columbia, Upenn, and Swarthmore? For some reason, cmu and bc are safety which I doubt. Does it make sense?

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 03:49 am: Edit

Hey...Rubenhan
I have a question...how are you going to tell the admissions officer that you have lived in Paraguay for 13 years. Its just that... I am EXACTLY like you...(korean who knows spanish who has lived for 13 years in a Latin country)
But...in my essay Im going to write about another topic...so how can I "indirectly" say that i am more hispanic than korean and that i have lived in that country for more than 13 years.

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:57 am: Edit

Add an attachment under "Additional information".

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:45 pm: Edit

If you know spanish and you aren't from a latino, hispanic descent then that's a huge plus.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Really?
Why?

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Hey, wjk323, I'm gonna write about my experience in South America and the transition between there and the USA. So, I think they'll know where I used to live.
WJK323, de donde eres entonces? Argentina o Mexico? Y naciste en America del Sur o en Korea? Si tu naciste en Korea y mudaste a Latino America creo que eso seria mas ventajas.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

haha..
i was born in korea but i moved to guatemala when i was about 5 or 6 years old.
Porque crees que hay mas ventajas si naci en corea?
I am NOT going to write about my transition about the different cultures, since last year I got rejected writing one some kind of essay like that. (that makes you think doesnt it)
Pues..no se..ahorita estoy estudiando para el SAT...y voy a ver que saco en esa mier** y despues ill think about essays and where i apply.

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I'll just wirte in English so that other people can read it.
My college counselor told me to write about that experience. I think I'll trust him since he already helped a lot of graduates to get into good colleges.
Also, i think having born in Korean would help you because that means more transition that you had to go through and more cultural background. Wjk323, if SAT is hard for you, and you are pretty logical, try ACT. Much easier. And I mean it. Much easier if you are good with math and science.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

yeah im kinda of thinking of taking the ACT as well? Not to sure..depends what i get in the OCT SAT test. Thanks for your advice though...and good luck

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

UPenn's Huntsman program seems to be quite interesting and intriguing. It's tough to enter though. We just got an admission officer from UPenn describing about it. 50 freshmen!!!!!! Crazy. Do you guys think I have a chance?

By Rubenhan (Rubenhan) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page