Kindly allow me to ask you to give me some suggestions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Kindly allow me to ask you to give me some suggestions
By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

I am applying to the following great schools:

Yale EA
Cornell
Duke
WUSTL
(Rochester- REMS)
(BU- 8yr ba/md program)
(Lehigh - '')
(Pennstate - '')

The question is, where else should I apply? (I have safety = u tulsa, rochester ug, lehigh ug, bu ug, and pennstate ug, oh, and vanerbilt).

I need to choose two great schools. So kindly help me. Allow me to thank you too.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

If you're choosing schools just because of rank, then go to usnews.com and look at their top lists

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

you have way too many safetys. Also i doubt vandy is gonna be a safety for you. You need to be really good even for this board.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

i don't know. vandy can't be that hard to get into. not exactly a safety but not exactly a reach either...i guess a match. i feel as if i have good enough stuff to get into vandy without problem. also, i'm not basing my list on numbers. i just need help choosing a few more schools. i decided not to apply to pennstate ba/md and to instead apply to better ba/md programs at better universities. if you notice, i'm not applying to princeton, harvard, upenn, darthmouth, brown, or northwestern (bamd) so obviously i'm not choosing by rank. i need great schools on the east coast that can be from the above list (princeton ...). they need to have great biology/premed/chem/genetics programs and be somewhat close to connecticut. they also should not be exceedingly large (like pennstate or utex austin). thanks

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

i need help. thanks

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Take a look at JHU

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

i've heard that jhu is too cut throat for premed students. they allegdly have the unhealthy kind of competition ie students trying to have their peers do worse than trying to do better than their peers. any more ideas?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Dickinson (PA), Rhodes College (TN), Gettysburg (PA), Franklin & Marshall (PA), Trinity (CT), Skidmore (NY), Bucknell (PA), Lafayette (PA), Muhlenberg (PA), Colgate (NY), Union (NY)

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:25 am: Edit

are those all strong in the sciences? i was hoping more for schools along the line of kinda big and in the REACH category. not to say that carolyn's aren't reaches, i don't really know. but, i'm looking for more reaches to apply to. thanks

By Rosiebabe5 (Rosiebabe5) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:21 am: Edit

nealp, i didn't think vanderbilt was supposedly good in the sciences? please correct me if i'm wrong, ive been wondering this, and its on your list

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

NealP - Just got one question. R u saying that U of Rochester REMS is a safety or are u saying that the regular college will be a safety if they deny u from the REMS program? Does the University of Rochester have this kind of option where if they deny someone to the REMS they will consider him for regular admission?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

For reaches....how 'bout Tufts or Williams?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Also, you did say kinda big, and while you mentioned not going for certain Ivies, you do have Yale and Cornell on the list, so how 'bout Penn or Dartmouth which are easier to get in than Yale?

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

yeah, they consider you for ug if you don't get into rems.. the ug part is the safety. rems is definately a reach. vanderbilt does have strong bio/chem/biochem research and premed programs......tufts i visited and didn't like b/c of all the language requirements...i've heard about penn and dartmouth but i have this notion of upenn being only really good business and nothing else. tell me if i'm wrong. and williams, i'm not really interested.

keep the suggestions rolling. thanks.

btw (yale b/c it is only 10 miles from where my parents will be living, and cornell b/c their medical school placement is excellent and its supposedly a REAl ivy w/o severe grade inflation. especially since it does grade all classes on a bellcurve (or so i've heard). thanks

By Chen (Chen) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

I live around CT too and am looking at similar schools!

U of Pitts, BU, UVA (not a safety though...)

By Rosiebabe5 (Rosiebabe5) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

this is why I said that Nealp.. (VU)
Admission Stats
Students Going to Medical School Upon Graduation: 4%
taken from princeton review-- plus in the individual schools theres a discussion on med school in the VU section.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

yeah i've read that. however, i used to live in nashville and have many friends' siblings who go/went to vandy and have gone into medical school if they so desired. 4% may only go to medical school but the more important number is the percent of vu ug's who get into medical school.

also, bu i'm applying to. upitts? never heard of...?

any more ideas? thanks, right now i'm writing my essay of intent for lehigh which i hope to use for all the other ba/md programs. so i still have a few weeks to get my list more or less finalized. thanks

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

i was thinking... i need a few schools that are reach and fall in the caliber range of yale cornell wustl and duke. they say confidence is good so i think i have a decent shot at the above four as far as reaches go. i want to go to the best school possible so i'm trying to find that target school. to do so i want a bunch of reaches that are all about equally tough to get into but still vary a little. that way i can overshoot a few (yale, duke) kinda hit a few (cornell wustl), and slightly undershoot a few (vandy rochester). help me find a few schools at are inbetween the overshoot and kinda reach stages. thanks.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

bump.. reaches please?

By Rosiebabe5 (Rosiebabe5) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Something else is Davidson, but I don't know if that would be your thing since you aren't interested in Williams.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

yep, not really interested. i need some schools that are just about but slightly less difficult to get into than yale, cornell, duke ,and wustl (than the most selective TWO of those FOUR). thanks...i'm looking for big in size and kinda in name. east coast. not liberal arts. thanks

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

bump, reaches please?

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

okay...this isn't going really well so let me redo my question. i am considering the following schools with their respective programs. tell me which three i should choose as reaches (i am also apping to cornell, yale, duke, and wustl). true, they are not all east coast. also, i would like to apply to one reac that i have a fair shot at where they offer merit scholarships. if you want to see my stats look at the "my numbers. my list. my chances." thread.

upenn
brown (ba/md and ug)
nyu
chicago (ba/md)
northwestern (hpme)
pennstate (ba/md)
rice
harvard heh
case western reserve (ba/md)
umkc (ba/md)
stevens inst. tech (ba/md)
OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR SCHOOLS W/ SIMILAR PROGRAMS YOU CAN SUGGEST, PREFERRABLY ON THE EAST COAST.

thanks a bunch

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

oh yes, and jhu if need be...thanks again

By Sidis (Sidis) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Hey, which one is harder to get in for a foreigner? Amherst - UPenn - Uchicago ????

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page