Artist's chances at columbia, chicago, nyu

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Artist's chances at columbia, chicago, nyu
By Crumbledsugar (Crumbledsugar) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I guess I'll just get down to everyone's favorite part, the stats:

SAT 1: 1400 (750 verbal)
SAT 2s: range from 650-710
GPA: 3.7 unweighted, but it looks like I will have a 4.0 this semester (I'm a senior)
Curriculum: Most rigorous in english, social studies, and art. respectable in math, science and spanish (I dropped math this year to take more social studies and writing courses). No free periods. I go to a college prep girl's school.

ECs: editor of school paper, president of Students for Justice and founder of my school's Amnesty chapter. Track all four years.

The one thing that might make me stand out is my art. I've been taking private lessons since third grade and am comparable to those headed to the most competitive art schools (RISD, MICA). I attended MICA's precollege program the summer before junior year. Art is also the subject of my essay. I will check art as my major at all colleges except for those that offer film.

So, that being said, think I have a shot at any of these schools?

U Chicago
Columbia
Penn
Georgetown
NYU (Tisch or Gallatin, undecided as of yet)

Keep in mind, these aren't all the schools I'm applying to. I have a list of safeties, I just need to choose my reaches. Thank you. :)

By Briteeyez4322 (Briteeyez4322) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I think you have a very good shot. As you know, many artists don't excel academically as you do so you seem to have the whole package. Your leadership/ec's are also impressive. I suggest you submit a supplemental portfolio of your work with your application (the schools you listed would probably welcome it) but otherwise you seem like the unique kind of person colleges are looking for! GOOD LUCK!

By Crumbledsugar (Crumbledsugar) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:25 am: Edit

Thanks! I've been so nervous lately, as I'm sure all college seniors have been. Like your username, by the way, if it's in reference to the band...

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Brit, Crumbled Sugar:

It's not that many artists don't exceed academically in comparison. Thing is, the prestigious institutions and art based programs in general, don't select students solely based on academic merit. They scrutinize a student's artistic talent, skill, and potential, much more than academic merit. But with that said, prestigious institutions that he's mentioned also look for a balance. While they look heavily upon artistic creativity/talent, they also want to see that a student is smart. Yet, they are not looking for the student to be a "genius" either. They just want to see that you do have some brains, and that you work hard academically. And good grades reveal that.

So my advice for CrumbledSugar is that, he should focus more on his portfolio, which will be required for creative based programs, especially for prestigious programs like NYU's Tisch. It's your portfolio that will be more of a determinent as to whether or not you gain admission. Your academics are definitely not the issue here. So you are more than safe in that area. But your portfolio, is what will make or break you. If schools feel it's a mediocre portfolio, despite the greatest GPA and SAT scores, they'll reject you. So work hard on the portfolio.

By Crumbledsugar (Crumbledsugar) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Thanks, but for the record, I'm female. :)

Any other takers?

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

i'm a 10th grader...and i'm a humanities person like you. i'm also good in art, but i'm not taking an art course this year because my school only allows us to take 5 courses (i chose the core ones: english, history, math, science, spanish). i'm from a prep school and also aiming for u of chicago just like you. i've done research there and i absolutely loved it!

as for your chances, i think it's pretty good. just work really hard on your art portfolio because they will carefully examine that (since art is what you say your strongest point is).

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Ooops. CrumbledSugar, sorry about that!
Good luck with your portfolio!

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:44 am: Edit

What AP courses have you taken and what have been offered? What is your prospective major? What math and science courses did you take?

By Crumbledsugar (Crumbledsugar) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:30 pm: Edit

English: AP Lit and Honors Writing senior year (we don't have honors for other grades)

Social Studies: World Cultures (only frosh class), AP American Gov, AP US History, AP Comparative Government, Supreme Court Decisions

Math: Geometry, Algebra 2/Trig, Advanced Math Topics

Science: Honors Bio, Honors Chem, Physics

Spanish: Adv 2, Adv 3, Honors 4, 5

I'm planning on double majoring art and english, or if I go to a school that offers film, film and political science.

Thanks! :)

By Crumbledsugar (Crumbledsugar) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

::twiddles thumbs::

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page