Do You Think I Have A Shot At Yale???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Do You Think I Have A Shot At Yale???
By Yale_Hopefully (Yale_Hopefully) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I am a sophomore at a public high school with a 4.0 GPA. I am secretary of my school's Sr. Beta Club. I am also an active member in Student Council, Math Club,and Scholar's Bowl. I am taking the ACT in December and the SAT next year.I volunteer at food distributions for the needy regularly. I am a vegetarian and an animal rights activist.I was accepted to Who's Who Among American High School Students, The Natioal Honor Society,and The National Honor Roll. Do you think I have a chance of being accepted?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:46 pm: Edit

First of all, nobody here will be able to give you an accurate prediction because you're still young and haven't established yourself yet. With that said, you SEEM to be on the right track. Does your school weight GPAs or rank? How big is your school? Is it public or private? Have you won any awards or honors for academic or extracurriculur activites? Also, just so you know, Who's Who and The National Honor Roll are BOTH scams. They are designed specifically to make money, so don't put them on your application. Anyway, you have time, so just try to score high on the SAT/ACT and get some awards/leadership positions. Establish good relationships with teachers and your guidance counselor also so you can get good recs.

By Yale_Hopefully (Yale_Hopefully) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Thanks!!! My school doesn't rank GPA's. There are about 475 students in my school. Last year I won the Ancient History award, the Algebra Award,and an award for writing superior research papers. I try to take all the honors classes I can even though not many are offered at my school. Once again,thanks!!

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Crnchycereal is right...you are indeed on the right track. also, you seem to be interested in history (just like me!). pursue this interest deeply because that is how you are gonna be able to stand out in the applicant pool.

some activities i do or are planning to do are
national history day (www.nationalhistoryday.org)
and the Concord Review (www.tcr.org)...try to brainstorm stuff that you can work on in the remaining 3 years of high school that can set you apart in the applicant pool (it's really fun to do that...just to see what you want to do with your life at this point).

show the admissions committee that you have a genuine interest for learning. highlight your strength....maybe it's community service, or track & field, or writing for the paper, or again it could be history, or something. pick something you are passionate about or think you can be passionate about...then focus all your energy on that. simply put, find a niche.

yale strives to bring forth a well-rounded class...which means it would be nice if each student had an expertise...maybe calculus or archery or physics or anatomy or doing World War II research or something. that way, yale can craft class that is dynamic, interesting, and diverse in all aspects.

i'm a sophomore to by the way, which means i'll be applying to colleges the same year as you! please post some more.

hope i helped.

Gian

By Tomohawke (Tomohawke) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Wow you two. You guys are WAY too involved in this college process. Do what you want to do, not what colleges want you to do. There's no way you can lose.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Dude....you have just entered your sophomere yr......you stll have two more yrs for all the college stuff..........so forget it for the time being......and enjoy your high school

By Yale_Hopefully (Yale_Hopefully) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the advice! I suppose I do need to lighten up a bit. I need to find the "Golden Mean" between work and play. There are only three years of HS left. As long as I keep my GPA a 4.0, score well on tests, and try my hardest, I should be fine! Thanks alot, keep the advice coming!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page