Chances w/ AMAZING RECS (STATE)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances w/ AMAZING RECS (STATE)
By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Hey, I got a quick question.

I've been an A- student in high school, took hardest courses available and ranked around 15/330. I also got a 1430 on the SATs and low-mid 700's SAT IIs. I've played one varsity sport for 3 years and have pretty good ECs. I also have a great letter of recommendation from the Treasurer of my state and the executive of the State's Board of Education because I worked with them.

Will these recommendations significantly improve my chances at the Ivies?

By Whodie (Whodie) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

In my opinion, there will be a huge boost in your application. Good luck!

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Thanks, really appreciate the support!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Whodie is wrong. Actually in several of the books I've read getting a senator or state rec is only going o hurt you. UNLESS, you have worked directly under him/her. They will not significantly improve your chances if they're your parents' friends, colleagues or college buddies. How do you know your state treasurer?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Serdu, the poster says he/she worked for these people. You would be correct that it would not be advantageous if some parents' friends wrote a rec cause they were some big wigs but did not know the student well. But the poster IS saying he/she has worked with such people. That is a different matter entirely. I know a girl at Yale from our state who I am sure got in on her own merits...she does a lot of musical theater, ski races, among other things. When we visited her at Yale, and by the way her SATs were not too high by Yale's standards, she told us she was the student representative on the state Board of Education and that then Governor Dean (who is now running for US Pres) wrote her a rec....and he is an alum of Yale and his daughter goes there. She worked with him and deserved such a rec. I am sure it only helped but am not saying it got her in. A supplemental rec from someone who knows you in a different capacity than a teacher is a good thing. But I do agree that recs by those who are a "name" and really do not know you well in any capacity are not appropriate.
Susan

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Oops sorry alimshk, I misread :)

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

And thanks to soozievt! Please see my post at "PLEASE HELP ( I need answers)"

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

if you knew the treasurer of your state and the ceo of the board of ed personally, then a letter from either of them can help your chances. just make sure you're the only one or even one of the few who actually worked with these people...if there are too many of you, they will just send out a generic recommendation.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

I started a state-sponsored program at my school and actually worked with the Treasurer. I also represented my school to the State Board of Education my senior year. Thanks for everyone who posted, I really appreciate it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page