Parents College Background....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Parents College Background....
By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Does it help someone if they are the first male to be going to college in their family? My dad never graduated from college. Would this help or hurt me?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

It helps to be the first person in your family going to college. If lots of females in your family have gone, the fact that you are the first male wouldn't count. And if your dad went to college, but quit before graduating, that doesn't count either. It isn't that it hurts you. It just doesn't show that you have overcome a disadvantaged background which is what the questions about parents'and siblings' education are all about. Since most people applying to college probably have at least one family member with at least some college, if you do too, don't worry about it. Just think of it as neutral.

By Xtech (Xtech) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I'm the first person in my family going to college, how would I happen to let schools know about this?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

The app will have a place where they ask about educational history of family members.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page