Will ED make my chances stronger?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Will ED make my chances stronger?
By Futureal (Futureal) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I've finally narrowed my list of potential schools I am going to apply ED to, and they are, in no specific order, Columbia, JHU, and Tufts.

Will this resume get me into any of
the above three?

SAT's: 1480 (highest combination)
M1: 660 M2: 740
V1: 740 V2: 690

PSAT's: 1480 (highest combination)

SATII's:
MathIIC: 700
Writing: 800
Latin: 600

CalcAB + PhysCMech = 4's

GPA : 3.67 UW in a competitive public HS
School does not rank, but I am definitely in the top 10% out of a class of 250+, possibly top 6 or 7%.

Courses: Out of 20 academic credits through the end of senior year, 10 of my courses will have been honors or AP (non-honors/ap's include mandatory english/history/language classes)
AP's: CalcAB, CalcBC, PhysicsCMech, EnviSci, EnglishLang

Awards:
National Latin Examination: Gold/Silver Medals
Medusa Myth Examination: Silver Medals
Fairfield U award in Science and Mathematics
National Merit Commended Scholar
the usual school high honor roll stuff...

Extracurriculars:
Debate Team, 3 years, President this year
Key Club, 2 years
Student Council, Secretary of Student Body
Kempo (martial arts) since Junior year
A+ certified computer repair technician
(passed the test after taking the class at a local CC)
Afterschool Honors class learning Attic Greek this year (college level)

Work Experience:
Clerk/Stock/Advice at a local hardware store since Dec of Junior year, 18 hours a week during school and almost 35 hours a week during summer.

Rec's: One from my latin/debate/greek teacher
One from my calculus teacher

Essay(s): The focus will lie in exploring the world invisible to the naked eye, which I hope to explore with a possible major in Nanotechnology.

Possible Majors: Nanotechnology and Classics

List of possible schools:

Reach: Columbia, JHU, Swarthmore
Target: Tufts, NYU
Safeties: RPI, UCONN

Should I use my ED on a reach to Columbia or JHU?
Or, since Tufts appeals to me more than any school, should I use the ED to make my application to Tufts stronger?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

doing ED to tufts will most probable get you in. If you wanna play it safe do that. But if you're not absolutely (or almost) sure tufts is your first choice, don't do it. Doing ED to columbia would definitely increase your chances, but it would still remain your biggest reach. If you're sure that of all those schools columbia is where you wanna go, apply ED.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

OK, I don't think you quite understand the point of the ED application. It is not soley to give the student an extra boost. Imagine you were accepted to all of these school. Where would you go? Are you sure? Is there any doubt, or would you have to do any more visits? If you can solidly pick a college that you want to go to, apply there. If you aren't completely sure, don't apply early. At all. It's not that big a deal in terms of the chance you lose, esp. if you compare it to the chance you have of deciding you really should have gone somewhere else because of something you learn later this year.

If you really want to go to Tufts, apply there. If you aren't really sure, wait it out. It's not that big a deal.

By Futureal (Futureal) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

well, the point is I really want to go to Tufts,
but I would also be perfectly content with going to Columbia or JHU.........
so im basically asking which school it would be most advantageous for me to apply early instead of regular.

By Futureal (Futureal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

hrm.... does anyone else have any thoughts on my chances of getting accepted into columbia/tufts early?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

jhu is 70% acceptance for ed. if you like it enough and apply early you are set.

By Futureal (Futureal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

are you sure about 70%? where do you see that?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

us news's stats on early decision acceptance rates. go search it up on google. they list all the schools and their ED accept rates.

By Futureal (Futureal) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

bump for columbia

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page