Final List - Please Evaluate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Final List - Please Evaluate
By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Below are my stats and final list of schools. Any inputs regarding quality of list and chances at those schools are will be greatly appreciated.

GPA: 4.72 weighted
SAT I: 680 Verbal; 640 Math (retaking in Oct.)
SAT II: 740 Writing; 740 US History; 740 World History
AP: US History-5; Psychology-5; World History-4

ECs:
-Asian Club (secretary for a year)
-Technology Club (treasurer for a year)
-school newspaper writer(grade 12)
-JETS
-General Organization(student gov't) rep.
-NYS Science Honor Society
-National Honor Society

Volunteer and Work:
-Student Activities Office volunteer (100 hours)
-White Plains Hospital
-Entrepreneurship Apprentice Program
-School Open House Guide
-Fujianese American Association volunteer

Awards:
-Renessaler Medal
-AP Scholar
-National Merit Commmended Scholar (likely)
-WBI Excellence in Computer and Business Education
-Excellence in World History
-Excellence in Spanish

Misc.
-Born in China, came to US at age 8
-first generation, parents do not hold any degree
-know alumni of Columbia and NYU who will write a reference
-Male (which should boost chances at Vassar)

List of Schools:
Columbia College (ED)
Cornell University
New York University
Vassar College
Boston University
SUNY-Binghamton, SUNY-Albany

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Time for a little bump.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Good mix of safeties matches and reaches. I hope you don't have your heart set on Columbia, but good luck with the app and I hope you get in

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Well I think you have a very good cance with the SUNYs :)

Does being born in a foreign country and coming to the US (you then become citizen) help in college admissions? Example:

Johny Wu and Jack Chen
Both have the exact same scores, grades, extracuriculars, same caliber essay, etc
Their only difference is that Johny Wu was born by Chinese parents in Michigan. However, Jack Chen was born by Chinese parents in China and they all came to the United States when Jack was 7 and became US Citizens.

Who has the better chance.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Abz,I'd say Jack Chen has the upper hand, assuming that he makes his situation known to the college. Many times these stuff gets concealed so tightly that colleges have no way of knowing whether someone came to the US at age 1 or age 8.

I hope to raise my SAT to around 1400 in Oct, to make my Columbia dreams a bit more realistic.

I'd rather not to go my safety school. In fact, I'd do anything to not have to go there. Working my tails off for 4 years to go to SUNY is quite depressing.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

bump

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

If you don't like the SUNYs, why don't you look at Hofstra, U of Rochester, other schools as well for a safety? You really should like your safety and match schools. SUNY is a great safety financially and for ease of application--you can apply to several with one app-no essay or recs needed, I believe. But there are so many schools in NY and area--I've only listed a couple--with a variety of selectivity that may interest you more than a SUNY. Columbia is so tough for New Yorkers to get into. A Cornell is no shoo in either. So they are your reaches. NYU can be picky depending on which school but it looks like a match. Add a safety you can like. I think you'll get into several on your list as is, but I hate to see kids hating their safety.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:32 am: Edit

I primarily chose the SUNYs as safeties exactly due to the reasons you stated (financial and ease of application). However, in finalizing my list, I was sort of viewing Boston University as somewhat of a safety also. Maybe I'm incorrect in that assessment? But I seem to be in the high end of BU's stats and scores.

As for NYU, I'm applying to the College of Arts and Sciences, which should be not as tough as Stern or Tisch. But I'm only giving myself a 70% chance for NYU. I would also be very comfortable with Vassar.

University of Rochester I do like, but if Boston University cannot be a safety, then can I really view URochester as a shoo in?

By Dumdumdum (Dumdumdum) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

correct me if im' wrong but, psychology counts as a half-year AP, which doesn't give you the 3 you need for Ap scholar?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

You have a good list. I mentioned Rochester and Hofstra because they are pretty good with financial packages with someone with your stats. I believe everyone from NY gets an automatice $4000 from Rochester. I think that is more of a match for you than a safety. Did not know if you were going with SUNYs as safeties for reasons other ease of application. I just hate it when someone hates his safety school. I wish each safety school is also desirable to the applicant not just a "have to do".

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Jamimom: I agree with your sentiments about safety schools. But unfortunately, very few students I know can truly say that they'd be satisfied going to a safety school. It is unfortunate, but I find myself in the same bandwagon.

Can you give me your estimate, in percents, of my shot at each of the schools? How much of a "match" is a match school? Are NYU and Vassar matches or low reaches?

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:23 am: Edit

bump

By Perry (Perry) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Visit the websites of each of the schools you're interested in and look at the most recent statistics for the class of 2006 or 2007. They should list either the median SAT score or the middle 50% range.
This should give you an idea of whether you're in range of admission. Ideally, you want to be in the 60-90% range of their testing statistics. Vassar, for example, lists its median SAT I score for the class of 2007 as 1370, up twenty points from the previous year. Obviously, there are many other factors at play as well that determine one's chances of admission.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:41 pm: Edit

nice list, it'll be real tough at cornell and pretty tough at NYU. Raise your sat(especially math) for cornell.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

How much does it help that I am applying ED to Columbia instead of Regular Decision?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page