But whats the points of this forum???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: But whats the points of this forum???
By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 04:22 am: Edit

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this board composed mainly of students and a few adults. Why are you asking students and adults to rate you, and if you have a chance at this XXXX college? If somebody tells you not to apply at this XXX college are you going take their advice. By the way, I would understand if there were "real" admission officers in this board rating the stats, but I know there arent so whats the whole point.

(My theory is that people want to either brag, or they feel a sense of curiosity about how other people judge them. I dont know, what do you guys think.)

By Cliqstr (Cliqstr) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 04:32 am: Edit

yea... i heard Xaviers Xcellent Xtatic University is a top tier school. but i definitely think you can get in. I got rejected though.. i don't think they even bothered to open my application when i sent it via snail mail.. i got it back with a return to sender stamp on it. That was one crude stunt they pulled on me... they could have simply said "Tens of thousands of people apply to our school every year. Unfortunately, you did not qualify. But we do wish you.. blah blah blah" or something. They were heartless.

maybe you should try adding a few more ECs on your application though.

heartless, I say.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:35 am: Edit

what the hell are you talking about?

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 09:19 am: Edit

Just ignore him, you EC's are fine. You have nothing to worry about XXXU might accept you. However, you would have a stronger application if you help more leadership positions.

I hope this helps...

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:26 am: Edit

Purpose of board: Hope supported by the assurances of others often helps the insecure worry less.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

And then there are the few and the proud students who are applying to Harvard with 2.9 GPAs and SATs of 1000...the board serves the purpose of telling them not to waste their time but in many cases, you just know they'll apply anyhow because "what the heck do a bunch of other students and parents know?"

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I dunno, my brother applied for XXXU and he got in with a 1580 SAT 4.0 GPA and no extracurriculars except about 50 hours of community service. I think XXXU will look past Extracurrirulars if your essay and grades/tests are good enough.

Hopefully that'll work for you.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

I did a campus visit a while back, the adcoms say Xaviers Xcellent Xtatic University requires Xtra effort..and Xtreme dedication in high school.

I suggest you email them with a list of your ec's/SATs/grades and ask them if Xeptance is at all possible.

Good luck! And you might want to consider XXXU EA. It gives that Xtra boost.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

oh my god...
i find this really really funny

is it guilt troubling you guys because only 1 or 2 has taken my question seriously.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Honestly Wjk323:

Some of us ARE looking for amateur student opinions. Not all college counselors are competent, and I'm inclined to believe that some people on these board are more knowledgable than your typical high school counselor..

Some of the more egocentric types are looking for an ego-stroke, and other achievers are looking for cofirmation in their abilities.

The bottom line is that the college admissions process is scary, and this board is a place where students can unite and help each other out.

Just don't read the Harvard EA thread.

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

I'm just curious about why you posted this. Perhaps you wanted people to agree with "your theory" and flame the people with good grades. As of right now, you are worthless trash in this community. Not only have you done nothing to help other people, but you don't actually want help yourself. You are only interested in hurting people. I think you should be spending this extra time of yours filling out applications....I hear McDonalds gives you a great employee discount...

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

wait where is this wonderful XXXU? A school that looks past Xtracurriculars? Mine suck...Awesome!

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

hahaha...Hsimpson your funny!!!
no seriously i think you should first read my whole thread before you start giving me a whole speech about how im trash and everything. I just wanted an opinion about what other people thought and I think collegeguy gave me a honest, valid answer.

"you are only interested in hurting other people"
what the hell are you talking about...how am i hurting anybody's feelings huh? i only asked why people do post things up...was that a racist or cruel question. Hsimpson before you start chiding me i think you should first learn how to get the gist of a certain post before getting all defensive.

"Not only have you done nothing to help other people, but you don't actually want help yourself."
uhm..what do you mean by this statement. you dont even know me...and how can you judge me so fast huh?

"I hear Mcdonalds gives you a great employee discount."
why do people think that working in Mcdonals is the lowest job you can do in your life. what do you have against people working in Mcdonals. Why are you such a "Mc-hater"?

well in conclusion, i am not gonna throw offensive language at you..and i am willing to forgive you for your little tantrum you had in your 9:28 PM post. I hope your not going to take the SAT I soon. (i bet your having a hard time in the CR sections, dont worry if you start reading more carefully you will start getting fewew wrong, trust me.)

By Hsimpson2k4 (Hsimpson2k4) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

I have no problem understanding you. Maybe the problem is on your end. Try writing about what you mean to say next time.

My take:
You are a skeptic, you insult the people giving advice and then you insult the people that take this advice. What do you want from this forum?

YOu are the biggest hypocrite if you start asking questions after you just said that there is no point in getting advice here.

Who said it was the lowest job in life? Maybe YOU need to improve your reading comprehension!

"I think you should be spending this extra time of yours filling out applications....I hear McDonalds gives you a great employee discount..."

Did I say it is a crappy job? NO! I just don't think your time would be well sent applying to college...

My SAT is just fine, but I wouldn't tell you because then I would just be bragging, right?

By Anduin (Anduin) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

This forum serves a few different purposes, only some of them really useful for the purpose of getting in.

First, some people like to post high stats (real? fake? only slightly embellished? who can say with any certainty?) to get ego boosts. Second, some people are fearful and insecure, and want the praise of their peers to assuage those fears. As Collegeguy said, this is a somewhat scary process.

Other people are looking for a source of information and opinions in addition to their friends, parents, teachers, counselors, stacks of mail, etc. Finally, and perhaps most usefully, people who already have somewhat decent shots at the colleges to which they are planning to apply are looking for the best way to present themselves. They are looking for peer advice on how best to emphasize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses in this great Game.

By Cliqstr (Cliqstr) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:30 am: Edit

man both of you guys should include this in your applications... analyzing each other's comments..

xxxu loves this stuff.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page