Small-Town Hispanic wants to double major at Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Small-Town Hispanic wants to double major at Harvard
By Thegreatice (Thegreatice) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

My friend is applying to Harvard, NYU, Fordham, BU, and Cornell, nothing early... here are his stats... you tell me if he will get in anywhere (I'm pretty skeptical myself about the higher up ones):

SAT's taken twice, 1340 sophomore year, 1370 junior year.
Two AP's: English Lang. 4, USH 5
He is 100% Puerto Rican, born in NY
His parents are divorced
GPA: 3.6 UW, 3.9 W
SAT 2's: 720 Chem, 700 Writing, 650 Math 1

EC's:
Drama Club for three years (acted in school play all three years)
As Schools Match Wits Team for three years (on TV team for 2)
A LOT of church activities for long before high school, most recently the church youth group, which he's been on for all four years of high school, and has gone to World Youth Day in Canadawith, and helped found the "God Squad," an extension of the youth group.

He wants to double major in English and US History

So tell me what you think... I'd like to see how accurate these boards really are, because I'm not telling him the results until April...

By Thegreatice (Thegreatice) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Ah, yes, and his rank is 5/230

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I think he has a good chance. REALLY needs at higher GPA, but if school is competitive, I guess its ok. Umm.. ECs seem a to lack a little dedication, does he do service? Excellent rank. My guess is that if minority numbers arent great this year, he'll make it. Also can you see my thread at "please help ( i need answers)? I too am a hispanic harvard applicant.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

harvard scale:
ec - bad
gpa - bad
sat - bad
race - good

i think harvard is a definite no.

cornell doesn't look so good either.
nyu is like a match, and he should get into the other ones.

By Thegreatice (Thegreatice) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

Yeah? Well shows what you know!
My friend was class of 2003 from our school, was accepted to fordham, then BU, then Cornell, then NYU - and in fact was invited to NYU to recieve their presidential scholarship (25K/year for 4 years), and now is a double major at Harvard... just goes to show how reliable this board really is, eh?

By Drfunk (Drfunk) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

hmm i dont think harvard is a definite no.. it appears that, in many cases, the URM status is worth more than an intel award. "How do you figure that?" you ask?

Exhibit A: URM Applicant - (Jesus, with a 1450+ and good SAT IIs your friend would get in)

http://pr.damnsw.net/2007/display.php?user=Peripatetic

Exhibit B: Non-URM Applicant with higher numbers -

http://pr.damnsw.net/2007/display.php?user=maineguy

Exhibit C: Mixed URM/Non-URM with the highest numbers -

http://pr.damnsw.net/2007/display.php?user=Illegitimate%20Son%20of%20Genghis%20Khan

Most likely he will not get into harvard because of the volume of applications but i wish you both the best of luck

EDIT: Whoops.. didnt see that last post..

*Sigh* I, as well as many others, beat/crush him in every measurable category (GPA, EC's, SAT I, SAT II), but, I, as well as many others, will not make the cut.

By Thegreatice (Thegreatice) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:25 pm: Edit

And one more question... what exactly d oyou have to be to be considered URM? A med school acceptance rate site says that it has to be a Native American, Mexican, or Hispanic, but that is that Nigerian guy on that link a URM? Am I a URM being from Sri Lanka???

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page