Williams?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Williams?
By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

I am thinking Early Decision... not sure.

SAT I - 700 V 760 M (plan to retake, WILL be getting a better score... had a severe headache on test day and couldn't keep my eyes open)

SAT II - 800 MIIC, 780 Writing, 760 Physics (will be taking US History, Chemistry and Biology in the fall)

GPA: 96.7 (97.8 without foreign language)

APs: 5 Physics B, 5 Calculus BC, 5 Psychology, 4 US History

Senior schedule:

Multivariate Calculus
Differential Equations
Advanced Placement Chemistry
Advanced Placement US Government
Advanced Placement Physics C
Advanced Placement Macroeconomics
Advanced Placement Microeconomics
Advanced Placement English Literature
Robotics

Model UN - member, won several awards (1st, 2nd, 3rd place at various conferences)
School paper - Editor
Writer/Staff member for school Research, Math and Science publications
Red Cross Volunteer
Key Club Member
Taken Intermediate Calculus at CUNY
Participant in Specialized Science/Engineering program at CUNY
2 Year internship at a Law Firm (non-paid, for administrative/job experience)
Competing member of School Science Olympiad Team
Currently doing a research project in Physics at a college for Intel STS

My prospective major is Physics and I expect strong Recs/Essays. Would being an international student help me out?

For the record, our school has an excellent history with Williams. On Thursday, I will be meeting the Director of Admissions who is personally arriving for an info session at our school (the timing is problematic because the Harvard dean is also coming around the same time...). What questions should I ask him? Does anyone have any comments on the school itself?

By Sac (Sac) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Obviously you're a very strong candidate.

I'm curious how stanfordhopeful decided to apply ED to Williams. What made you pick Williams as your first choice to study physics? What is their physics department like?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I like how you write out Advanced Placement 6 times. Tacky. Anyway, as far as admissions are concerned - you're in. I'm willing to say you're almost guaranteed in. What stood out about Williams to you? If you want to major in Physics it seems odd to go to an LAC.

By Interested123 (Interested123) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Just cause its an LAC doesnt mean it has bad science departments...

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Actually, the fact that I am an international student and Williams is need-blind to internationals had an influence on my choice. Also, they have one of the best math departments in the country (always at the top in the "small school" category at Putnam) and their sciences are really very good. I want to go to a smaller college with less pressure and more interaction, Williams seems nice.

Also, their students get "spectacular" (in their own words) research grants (the NSF is very generous to them) and great internships during the summer.

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

Sac et al:

What Stanfordhopeful said about the Williams math and physics departments is quite right. If my son does not mind the very very small town location and the snow, it is definitely on our list of must consider.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

"in their own words"

hehe

By Sac (Sac) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Thanks for your explanation. It sounds as if you've been very thoughtful about your choices. I also know that Williams has an excellent economics department.

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Dude, I so did not know that. when I checked Williams' website, they don't even have a math club. Thank you Stanfordhopeful, I think I will apply to Williams too.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

^
They have the best math department for LACs and do VERY well in the Putnam Math competition for smalls schools.

They just spent $50 million last year on science facilities.

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Where did you find that William did good on Putnam? I google searched and couldn't find anything. I only found the results for big schools like Harvard, Princeton etc.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

A student at Williams passed that information to me.

By Driver (Driver) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Williams has very strong math and sciences. Something like 6-8% of the students are math majors, unusual for a LAC. Physics is also very strong, and Williams is one of the few if not only top LAC with an astrophysics major. Also a neuroscience program.

By Driver (Driver) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Addendum: You asked about international status, and my impression is that it is helpful. For one thing, most Williams students spend a semester abroad, and the college likes to have connections. For another, Williams, like most colleges, seeks ethnic diversity, but unlike many others does not compromise entrance standards much in order to achieve this. They have many "students of color" from Europe and from former European colonies in Africa, the Caribbean, and elsewhere, where the public secondary school education system is apparently superior to our own. I hope this is taken in the spirit intended, I mean no disrespect to anyone. But that's what I've seen at Williams.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:18 pm: Edit

I am an Asian student stuyding in the US. Although my school is reputed to be VERY hard and like I said, they have a good history with us. The Admissions Director whom I spoke with recently was very cordial and it felt like he really wanted some students from our school.

By Driver (Driver) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:31 pm: Edit

I think you obviously have the stats to get in. However, since almost all Williams admits have the stats to get into HYPSM, ED would probably help, because the USNews #1 rating and the WSJ #5 grad school placement rating are going to make it even tougher to get into next year. Interest in Physics and Math as majors are also a hook, in my opinion. I think that was part of what got my daughter in. Excellence and a passion for those disciplines are important, because of Williams' reputation in those areas and to justify the expense of their new science center, which really is spectacular. There are plenty of students of Asian descent, from all over the world, and also from the US. I think they'll like you.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Bump.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

What about intl's from Lat.Am ? Do they have a good shot?

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

I don't think Ed will make that big of a difference. Williams only admits around 10% of their freshman body ED.

By Driver (Driver) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

That's flat out wrong. They took around 190 ED out of a class of 500+ this spring. You can see it on their website. And to Sidis, yes, I think a Latino with good stats would get a tap.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Hey! that's good! But my stats are no so good (darn it) 1300 SAT (600V, 700M), 3.4 GPA (top 10 school in my country) Taking SATII expected : MathIIC 800 , Physics 800. Best recommendations from my class (every teacher says I'm wasting my time at school, but I guess I was used to put always 50%)

But I've donde some cool ECs, like working with a college teacher, teaching at poor schools, giving guitar concerts, I'm also IB candidate (Taking Physics HL, expected 6-7)

Would that be enough?? I'm hungry for those Financial Aids, plan to study Physics-Philosophy-Math. (Also plan to Take Art 'cause I'm a paintor)

Why are US colleges so herd to get into!!?

By Sidis (Sidis) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

BTW I'm not a URM, I'm a Foreigner

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page