I promised to never do this, but....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I promised to never do this, but....
By Sandy (Sandy) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Hey guys,
As the title says, I promised myself to never post my stats up and ask for evaluation. After all, the process of admissions is very unpredictable. Here I am, today, asking for an evaluation of my chances to my dream school, RICE. I really don't know why I am breaking my promise, but I am.....(I should be studying for my Calc test right now:))
I live, eat, and drink RICE. Even my binders for high school are from Rice. I am applying ED to Rice. Here are my (not-so-good) stats:
SAT I
740 M 720 V
Bio-M 760
Math IIC and Writing-October
Class rank :1/14 (I go to a small, private school-no comments on the school)
Applying to the School of Natural Sciences
Possible major: Biochemistry and/or Cell Biology (pre-med)
Additional information: Have been in the U.S. for four years; I am fluent in 4 languages- English being my third language.
ECs:
Global Marketing Director for United Planet- a non-profit organization based in Boston. It has coordinators and volunteers in more that 80 countries. I, as the Global Marketing Director, coordinate a team of marketing members from about 20 different countries. My job is to promote United Planet in those countries in various languages. **Although I got this job this summer, I consider this to be my major EC

Student Council Representative (10-12)
Newspaper (10-12); Section Editor (11); Editors for this year are not known yet.
History Club (9) Pres.
History Magazine (9) Editor
Mentorship with a dermatologist(11)
Hospital Volunteer (11-12)
Library volunteer (10)
Volunteer at a Cancer Society (last summer)
Tutoring ESOl(English-as-second-language) kids at a Comm.college(11)
Tutoring second graders

Honors/Awards:
I have many subject awards which I do not want to talk about here.
National Merit Commended
Inter-Scholastic Speech Competition in Houston (2002) - 2nd place in Extemporaneous Speaking
School's annual speech competition- 1st place
Honor Roll 4 years
Best Author Award
Citizenship Award(I think it was for my commitment to the history club)

I am a Dual-Credit Student (high school + college classes). My essays will be okay, and my recommendations should not be too bad. I have three people in my family who have attended Rice. I do not think this counts for much, but I thought I should mention it since the Rice app. asks for it.

If you are still with me, thank you. Give me your honest opinions. Please keep in mind that my school is very small and does not offer too many ECs. I have also spent a lot of time in the last four years adjusting to a new lifestyle. And ya, if you reached this far, then this is for you:
T H A N K Y O U

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

"not-so-good" my ass. I'm applying to the same college for ED, and looking at your stats make me loose hope :(.

I really think you'll be fine, unless you're essay/recs take a complete turn, there is no way you can not get accepted (IMO, I'm not college admin, so don't take my word on this), if not early then regular.

Heres my stats by the way, gaze at how much qualified you are than me.

http://pr.damnsw.net/display.php?user=abz1986

By Sandy (Sandy) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

I checked out your stats a long time ago. You expect me to to not check out my competition? I am on this board 24/7:)
Anyway, I personally feel like you have a better chance than I do. I am serious. I think I look like someone who would just blend in with the rest of the applicants.
As I said before, admissions are so unpredictable... I hope both of us make it. (Actually, I hope you, me, Texan, and Daren all make it. Texan and Daren are two other ppl on this board applying to Rice ED)
Hope to see you in the Fall of 2004 at Rice!:)

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Yea right, Sandy.

Your scores are good and that Global Marketing thing is definitely unique-- emphasize that.

It's great that you've found a school you absolutely adore. I wish I was in the same situation. :(

(I'm just curious, do you know who I am? If you've checked out PR, you might have an inkling. ;))

GOOD LUCK

By Sandy (Sandy) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:14 pm: Edit

bump

By Sandy (Sandy) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Thanx Congress. I am not sure of who you are.
Am I supposed to know you?:)
Don't you adore Yale?

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I think he's the one who adores UNC-Chapel Hill, if I'm not mistaken.

Sandy, if you don't get into Rice, I'll choke, seriously. Good luck... you seem like someone that they really have no reason to pass up at all!:)

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

i got to a small private hs as well
my rank is 1/17 hehe small eh?
hmm your chances are good but still there are many people that have thaose stats but i know that you stand out with a some ec's you have on you list
your sat scores are good enough for Rice!
good luck
I'm considering rice as well since i read that 95% of their undergraduates get into med school

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Yeah! Rice Class of 2008 all the way! If all four of us do get in we can form the Collegeconfidential club/society and get shirts made of collegeconfidential.com :)

j/k

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Sandy, you are very qualified. Your scores are great, and your ec involvement is pretty impressive, too. As for your interview, just remember that your interviewer was probably in your position a few years ago, and that they WANT to pitch in a good word for you. Be yourself, and you'll do fine.

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

hmm no actually im for tthe fall of 2006 thats when im applying but hey i hope to see you there if we do get in
chech out my post; its called: CHECK THIS OUT
thanks!!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

My god, you're in. And thats one REALLY SMALL class size, geez.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

Thank you, guys.

"Yeah! Rice Class of 2008 all the way! If all four of us do get in we can form the Collegeconfidential club/society and get shirts made of collegeconfidential.com"
Yes, abz:)(btw, I will read and send my comments on your essay soon)

"And thats one REALLY SMALL class size, geez"
Tell me about it. It went from 20 to 14. The school policy is to have no more than 20 students in each class. Why? Don't ask me.

I will sure update you guys on Decemeber 15th. Good luck to everyone!:)

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

GOOD LUCK SANDY!!!!!!!!

i got a Rice application today...randomlh...in the mail.

how are you coming along are yours? i havent even started my ED/EA ones. agh!!!

By Sandy (Sandy) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Well, mine are doing okay...I have a rough draft of my application, but I am nowhere close to done!
SATs and Calculus take too much of my time:(

By Sandy (Sandy) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

bump

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

What time is your interview? I might be around campus if I'm not at Reliant watching Rice get spanked by UT.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

11 on Saturday

By Cyclones86 (Cyclones86) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Hey everyone…I am a bonafide Rice freak as well…have been for as long as I can remember. Now, just to make the rest of you feel smart, here are my stats, please feel free to comment:
SAT I: 680 V, 590 M (retaking October)
ACT: 29 (retaking October)
SAT II – IIC, Chem and Writing in Nov/Dec
GPA: 3.8 unweighted
LD Debate team co-captain
Model UN
Academic Bowl
Science Fair winner and participant for 3 years
Numerous essay contests

Indian classical dance for 9 years
Member of religious group

In a nutshell, that's me. I'm applying ID, which is prob not the smartest thing, since I have a nil change of getting in. I should have done ED, but I couldn't take my SAT IIs in time. Do you know if I can take those later if I talk to Rice or whatever about it?

hope to hear something soon.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

"Even my binders for high school are from Rice. "

....creepy

By Sandy (Sandy) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

cyclone,
The last date for testing for ED is October. I wish you all the luck!
Rubenizm: "creepy" .....It is beyond creepy. Just ask my friends:)
Pat: What are some good places to eat on the campus? I want to just roam around and probably have lunch somewhere after my interview.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:29 am: Edit

On campus you're pretty limited to dorm food yummy! =), sammy's, subway, or blimpie's, the last three of which are all at the student center. I haven't tried sammy's yet, so I don't know what to tell you except that the steak and cheese subs are pretty good. However, just off-campus you can find all kinds of good restaurants, including Taco C (which, I should mention, was voted the favorite restaurant among Ricers).

Make sure to see 0, 45, and 90 (or sober, tipsy, and drunk, if you prefer), some of the colleges (Lovett is the best, btw), and the jones graduate school, which, imo, is one the prettiest spots on campus.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Okay...Had my interview today! It was pretty good. My interviewer, however, was a senior at Rice. It lasted for like an hour. Then, I tried going to the Ley Student Center. I found it after like 20 mins, but then I could not find my way back to Lovett Hall. :)

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Okay...Had my interview today! It was pretty good. My interviewer, however, was a senior at Rice. It lasted for like an hour. Then, I tried going to the Ley Student Center. I found it after like 20 mins, but then I could not find my way back to Lovett Hall. :)

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

dude sandy no worries ur in...trust me ur fine. its kinda sad that im on here 24/7 too...i think all this collegeness is taking time away from eveyrthing else...ahhh (btw, cal is a killer and im taking abbc ap)

so whats the advice for the interview (i kind of know my rice interviewer already becuase i met and introduced myself at a rice info session, and when i called him he remembered me) but still do they ask you ?s to put u on the spot...? im sooo worried about my application

i found out that im rank 36/204 at the #1 public high school in texas so i dunno, but in the history of my hs...no one outside of top 20 have gotten accepted at rice...so i would have to be a special case (only a miracle)

oh yea...are u going to add all the ec's, summer activities, short answers on separate paper or just type them up on the application itself?

gosh i reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hope we get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be the best gift in the world

cyclone, whoa....omg ur stats are almost the same as mine
around the same SAT, done sci fair for 4 years and been doing indian dancing for a about 11 years crazy! well i hope u all the best...

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

omg dont worry about u being creepy...i think my whole entire school knows about my obsession and it would be really sad if i didnt get in...

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

omg dont worry about u being creepy...i think my whole entire school knows about my obsession and it would be really sad if i didnt get in...

By Texan (Texan) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Have been in the U.S. for four years; I am fluent in 4 languages- English being my third language.

where are u from and what other languages do u speak?

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Alright guys..I am going to bump this with some updates:
Math IIC 800
Writing 790
Does this improve my chances even a little bit?:)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page