Physics Formulas

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Physics Formulas
By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Right now I am taking AP Physics and since there are lots and lots of formulas, what do you guys feel as the best way to help remember the formulas?
Also, what is the amount of formulas in AP Calc?
Thanks

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

There are some formulas in Calc AB (don't know about BC yet), but they are mainly concepts you should be able to use without knowing the formula (Definition of Derivative, Fundamental Theorm of Calculus I & II, etc)

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Because they try to trick students with the same old problem year after year, make sure you remember these two rules above all others: f=ma and You can't push a string.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Don't worry about remembering the physics formulas...They give you a sheet with everything you need on the AP, so don't worry about holding it all in your head.

If you teacher doesn't give you them on the test, all you can really do is memorize them in chunks, unit by unit. If you understand the concepts really well, the formulas will come easier, so spend more time on that then memerization. Also, look at the units. If the units don't match on either side, you've got the wrong formula.

As for calc, there aren't that many. If you understand the concepts, the formulas are very simple, and you can derive almost anything. Just memarize the definition of the derivative. You'll need that.

Did anybody notice that I spelled the word meaning learn by heart 3 different ways?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

my physics teacher said that you only get a formula sheet on the free response and that you don't get one for the multiple choice, so there are some you need to know.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Oh, yeah, you're right rubenizm. It's been a while since I took it. So, yeah, you need to learn the simpler ones, but if you use them enough in practice problems, they'll come to you easy enough.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

if you are allowed to use calculators on your tests, why not store the formulas on your calc.....all ti graphing calcs can do that.......makes life so much easy!

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Just write the equations out on a big, master sheet that you can add to throughout the year. You'll have them all in one place and you'll have a great tool to study off of throughout the year and before the AP exam.

By Baykin (Baykin) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Here's a big electronic circuit formula:

Let C=Capacitance in Farads
L=Inductance in Henrys
F=Desired Frequency in Hertz(10^(-6)
Megahertz, the common unit on a typical
radio.)
pi=3.1415...

2pi(f)L = 1/2pi(f)C

This formula is used to determine the radio frequency with minimal impedance with a given inductance an capacitance(capacitive reactance and inductive reactance are opposites therefore canceling each other out when the "tuned" frequency is recieved.) For tunable radios, this is accomplished by having a variable capacitor in which the capacitance can be adjusted.

By Baykin (Baykin) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Sorry about that, I was bored so I posted that

By Pacman (Pacman) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

The physics and calc test is the easiest AP test. It's all common sense, you don't need formula sheets. If you do, then you don't have a good understanding of it.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

^^um, no

By Pacman (Pacman) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:41 am: Edit

um, yes. I'm sorry. the truth hurts.

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

Pacman, get a cookie and calm down.

OMG, you remind me so much so someone I knew: he was kind of smart, but he wasn't well-liked in his class and he didn't have many friends either due to his callow behaviour.

Well, that was actually me. Two years ago.

By Wt8008 (Wt8008) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

A lot of forumlas you'll remember because of all the problems you do, but you do need to remember some of the commom equations for the multiple choice or it would get you (I forgot all of the magetic/electic field eqns. on the multiple choice last year :/)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page