Can I Dare to Dream of attending Harvard????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Can I Dare to Dream of attending Harvard????
By Geoffroy681985 (Geoffroy681985) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

As I stated in the title of my message, it is my dream to go to Harvard. Based on my stats provided and assuming I have fantastic recommendations and a killer essay, do I stand a chance in the regular decision admissions pool? Here are my stats:

Class Rank: Not yet announced but I will be in the top 1% - 2% of a class of about 450

SAT I: 1520 (Math - 770, Verbal - 750)

SAT II: Writing - 800, Math IIC - 800, U.S. History - 740

AP: U.S. History - 4, English Language - 4

Junior Schedule:
AP U.S. History
AP Language & Composition
Honors Physics
Honors Precalculus
French 4
Latin 3
Gym

Senior Schedule:
AP U.S. Government & Politics
AP Physics B
AP Psychology
AP French Language
AP Calculus AB
AP Literature & Composition
AP Latin Literature

Academic Honors:
-Outstanding Achivement in Honors World History 1
-Outstanding Achivement in Honors Algebra 2
-Outstanding Achivement in French 3
-Outstanding Achivement in French 4
-Outstanding Achivement in Latin 3
-College of the Holy Cross Book Prize

Extracurriculars:
-President of Academic Decathlon (9-12)
-President of National Honor Society (12)
-NHS Member (11-12)
-Founder, Co-Editor, and columnist for NHS Newspaper (12)
-Founder and director of all-school tutoring organization (12)
-National French Honor Society member(10-12)
-National Latin Honor Society member(10-12)
-National Junior Classical League Member (10-12)

Work Experience:
-Summer Internship for U.S. Congressman

Here are some of the other schools I am applying to. I would appreciate any input on my chances at these schools as well:

Yale
Brown
Amherst
Williams
Dartmouth
Bowdoin

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

It's hard to say with any college, let alone Harvard, home of the two-digit acceptance rates. So, regular decision... not bad, not great. Early, your chances are definitely much better. Ditto for Yale... ditto for Amherst and Williams, because they are such small schools, you're playing a different game.

Dartmouth, Brown, Bowdoin you would stand a good chance regular decision.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

You need a safety, there is no guarantee you will get into any of the schools that you are applying to. The easiest to get into of the ones you picked are Bowdoin followed closely by Dartmouth and those are sure things for nobody.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Ariesatheana, every college has a two-digit acceptance rate :^)

Chasgoose, I think the lad's applying to more than the colleges he listed above...he said "some of the other colleges".

However, the original poster has to remember that we aren't in charge of determining whether you are accepted to Harvard, or any University for that matter, or not. If 100 people posted on this thread that you were a sure shot for admittance, that wouldn't increase your chances by 1/100th of a percent. All 100 of us could be wrong, or all 100 of us could be correct. In my opinion, a person with the initiative to apply to Harvard, or any University for that matter, should already have some sort of idea as to the possiblities of admittance into that said University.

In other words, our opinions shouldn't overrule yours, no matter what they may be. This advice applies towards everyone on these boards, not just you :^)

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

you can, sure.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page