College Apps

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: College Apps
By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Hey everyone...am I the only one getting really stressed about college apps? I have really strong grades, ec's, etc but I'm not too sure what type of college Ill get into so my apply list is pretty long. Is it really bad to apply to so many schools. Also, is it bad I'm applying to so many reaches? I added up app costs, and the money isnt too much of a problem. I plan to apply (for engineering) to

Reach - Mit, Stanford, Cornell, Caltech, Berkeley, Columbia, Cooper Union, Carnegie Mellon, U Penn
Match - Northwestern, WUSTL, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Harvey Mudd, Rose Hulman
Safety - Rochester Institute of Technology, Penn State, Renssaler Polytechnic institue and boston university

Thanks for any help

By Shortii22 (Shortii22) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Anya (Anya) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

21 colleges? ouch. do you really need that many? I'm not expert but that seems like it'll be awfully stressful on you and on the people you ask for letters of reccomendation... but it is good to have lots of options I guess. one more thing, you should really consider Harvey Mudd, my brother goes there and he loves it. It's a really good school, with a really nice atmosphere, especially (so I'm told) when compared to more competition-driven places like Cal Tech and MIT.

By Anya (Anya) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

[that's not -an- expert, or -no- expert, take your pick]

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

My opinion is to do what you want but I think that is too many colleges to apply to. Yes, it does let you decide and narrow down next April (when you will only have about a month to make the decision). However, it appears you are not focused yet in exactly what you want in a college. If you cannot narrow that down now, how will you next April in limitted time and you could have 12 to pick from or maybe more? It is best to visit the schools. Have you done so for 21? A great application involves personal contact with a school. Can you do that for 21 schools? How bout the interviews? Will the guidance counselor be willing to do a comprehensive job filling out forms/recs for you for many schools?

I would delve deeper into each school on your list. Figure out what your criteria/preferences are in a college and then choose approx. 3 reach, 3 match, and 2 safety schools that you truly would be happy attending which meet many of your chosen college criteria. Only you can decide which schools fit that list of preferences. If you cannot decide enough to narrow the focus to even ten schools now, how will you choose just one next April? I am sure if you are a student worthy of contention at the schools on your list, then you will surely get in a few places. That can be accomplished by applying to 7-10 schools. Think about it. I am not sure in an interview right now, if asked why you want to attend College X or what have you done to explore this school, that you can do it justice. Time-wise, I do not see how you can put the energy into doing all the personal contact, packaging of the app to a specific college and the visits/interviews as they should be done to strengthen your chances of admission to such tough schools.

In any case good luck to you and get crackin' on those apps. Make sure you have time to still do your homework!
Susan

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

holy heck no wonder you're stressed out about apps. im not even applying to half as many and im flipping out. you REALLLLLY need to shorten up your list and focus on 10 schools or less. you can spend more time on each application rather than rushing through all of them, and do a better more comprehensive job-it will help you get into your reaches.

craziness...

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

That's crazy.

I'm applying to 5.

I expect to bat at least 60%, possibly 100% if the winds are right.

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Why 21??????

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

Reach - Mit, Caltech, Berkeley, Columbia, Cooper Union, Carnegie Mellon
Match - University of Illinois, University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Harvey Mudd, Rose Hulman
Safety - Rochester Institute of Technology, Penn State, Renssaler Polytechnic institue

There you go.. just take ones out that aren't really engineering schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page