UNC Out-of-State

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: UNC Out-of-State
By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

There is an article in the Academe Today (a daily newsletter issued by the Chronicle of Higher Education) for 9/15/2003 on out-of-state admissions at UNC including UNC-Chapel Hill. Non-residents are limited to 18%. UNC would like to increase that.

In the article, which is only available through a password, the writer quotes a UNC source that last year UNC-Chapel Hill: "received 11,000 applications from out-of-state students for just 635 spots. More than 1,000 of those students who were rejected had SAT scores of 1400 or above."

By Seventoedsloth (Seventoedsloth) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I read about that somewhere too. It said that by North Carolina law the school has to have at least 80% of its students coming from instate. Doesnt bother me a whole lot because I am instate but I am sure it is frustrating for others trying to get in.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

We are currently capped at 18% for out-of-state students. Our chancellor is proposing that the cap be moved up to 22% for the entire UNC-system, with excemptions of residency for certain students, mainly the ones on scholarships from the University. So the UNC administration is dealing with some issues that will affect the people of North Carolina--remember, we are "The University of the people" first and foremost.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page