Chance at Ivy's?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chance at Ivy's?
By Ussrliveson (Ussrliveson) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:59 am: Edit

What do you people think are my chances for admission to any of the Ivy's? I'm a senior right now and I'm trying to figure out where I should be applying. I don't have a definite choice yet, but any recommendations would be nice. I've looked all over the place for like average grades and stuff like that, but that doesn't seem to help much, given that my stats are a bit weird non-standard.

SAT: 1460 (retaking, but pretend that nothing changes)

GPA: unweighted, on a 100 scale its a 93. i guess that makes it a 3.8 on 4.0 scale.

AP's:
Have already taken:US History (5), Chemistry (4), Comp Science A (5), Eng Language (4) Calc BC (3, AB subgrade - 4), Statistics (4).
Currently taking: Physics APC, Psychology, Eng Literature, Comp Sci (diff language), French, Ecoonomics (micro+macro). that makes it 13 AP's by the time I graduate.

regular classes: not many... most of my classes are AP's. i guess nothing much beyond the stuff i need to fulfill graduation requirements.

Awards: 3rd Place regional HS programming competition, 2nd Place Shipley invitational science fair, Highest Honors (1st place) Long Island Science Congress, 4th place Long Island Science and Engineering Fair, 2nd place Nassau County mathematics tournament. i think those are all the important ones..

Leadership: Robotics club founding member + team leader (10th grade), robotics club secretary (11th grade).

Extracurriculars: my only sports are JV soccer in 9th grade and winter and spring track 9th and 10th grades. after that i stopped. beyond those, i've been doing a research project at NYU for the past 3 summers. also about 15 hrs/week during the school year and tutor about 10 hrs a week. clubs... 3rd board chess team, mathletes.

Do I have a chance at Ivy's?
THANKS!

By Ussrliveson (Ussrliveson) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

oh also forgot SAT II's:
Bio-M (740), Physics (750), Writing (730), Chemistry (750), Match IC (770), Math IIC (750)

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

Why do you want to go to an Ivy..

Your EC's say MIT, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, Carnegie Mellon, U of IC, UCBerkeley

By Ussrliveson (Ussrliveson) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

so what are my chances or getting into those? you think i can get into MIT?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

About average.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

all those schools are so different. don't go to a school only because it's an ivy. Do some research and find some schools that you like. The ivies can be so different.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page