Chances for a senior seeking college from SoCal

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances for a senior seeking college from SoCal
By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

Updated and abetted...

OK, this is going to be a fairly long message, so bear with me.

I am a senior from Southern California and am looking at various colleges. The list:

On the visited list:
UC Irvine
UC Berkeley
UCLA
Harvey Mudd College
Vanderbilt
Harvard
MIT
Yale (EA)
Columbia (no longer really interested)

Interested:
Stanford
Carnegie Mellon

Prospective Major:
Computer Science

I'm most likely not going to apply to all of the schools that I've mentioned, but if there are any glaring omissions for my interests/there are any that are way too far out of my reach admissions-wise, let me know so I can avoid wasting my application fee.

My stats are:

SATI 1600

SATII 800 MathIIC 800 Writing 780 Physics

National Merit Semifinalist (225 PSAT)

AP (with a score of 5) Computer Science A, AB; Calculus AB; U.S. History; European History

IB (full diploma canidate, 2 tests taken so far: score is out of 7) Physics SL 6, Math Methods SL 7.

Senior Year Classes: AP Biology, AP Spanish 4, AP Calculus BC, IB ToK/Philosophy, AP English, AP Economics (first semester)/AP Gov (second semester)

College Classes/Credit (at a California State University):
Last year:
Math 150A Analytic Geometry & Calculus A (equiv to AP Calc AB)
Math 150B Analytic Gemoetry & Calculus B (equiv to AP Calc BC)
This year:
Math 250A: Multivariable Calc
Math 250B: Intro to Linear Algebra and Diff. Eqns.
Math 270A: Math Structures A (Discrete Mathematics w/ Combinatorics)
Math 270B: Math Structures B

GPA: 4.57 weighted, 3.9something unweighted.

School caliber: I think about 4 went to Harvard last year, 3 to Stanford, 1 to Yale, 20 to Berkeley, and like 40 to UCLA. Fairly good public magnet school, 45 NMSFs this year.

ECs: Internship at game development company (great essay/experience)
Community service (>200 hours) with my church, InterACT club (I am the technology chair for it), and Future Business Leaders of America (which I am heavily involved in)
American Computer Science League - 5th place in national finals one year, 3rd the other
USACO stuff...Other stuff I'm too lazy to mention....

Interests: Computer science (won the school's programming contest, participated all 3 years so far), film (done some independent stuff)

Incidentally, I was not accepted into NHS for reasons that will not be disclosed to me because of my school's policy. Considering NHS at my school has nearly 75 members, and I'm ranked about 10/500 in my class (with plenty of extracirricular hours), I feel a bit slighted, but I'll deal with it. How will this negatively affect my chances?

I am sure, however, that the teachers who are recomending me have a very high opinion of me. My big weakness is my lack of leadership roles, but I hope to overcome that by demonstrating leadership potential and excellent academic promise.

So what are my chances, and are there any great schools I'm missing?

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Up?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Your list looks good but I'd drop Columbia and definitely add Stanford or Carnegie Mellon. You might also take a look at Princeton, Rose-Hulman, U of Rochester.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

WHAT!!! dont even think of apply to the UCs with those stats.....you r too good for them!

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:16 am: Edit

I liked UCLA/UCB :(

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

up

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Yeah seriously you are too good for them with those stats. But apply for them if you want, I mean you should go to a school because you like it, not because there are better ones you can get in.

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 03:01 am: Edit

bump once more...eesh hard to comment, eh :-P

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Nobody?

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 09:21 am: Edit

yeesh

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

up

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

up

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Dont apply to the ucs because...........by doing so......u make life harder for poeple like me who fall into the average range of ucla, ucb
So FORGET IT!!

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Oh please. Don't not go to a school just because "you're too good for it". If you like UCLA or UCB by all means go to them. They are awesome schools (you're not even considering USC? Shame on you!). Choose a school on what feels right to you and what you like, not on the prestige.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page