Mediocre junior, seeking for a good advice!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Mediocre junior, seeking for a good advice!
By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Hi, my name is Jay, junior in Virginia IB public school and Iíd like to know if I am on the right on rack, and what I have to do to increase my chances in UVA, Northwestern, JHU, Virginia Tech, george mason, and Johns Hopkins. (biomedical engineering)

Class rank: unknown, but Iím definitely sure that Iím in top tenth.

GPA:3.8 (my countyís A starts at 94.)

SAT: planned to take it in January, but based on my psat score, I predict the range between 1300-1350 (750math/600verbal)

SATII: Korean:790, MathIIC:800, and plan to take Chemistry in oct.(700-750)

Classes: Taken 5 honors in sophomore yr, and Iím enrolled in 4 IB classes(IB chem2, senior investigation, AP calculusAB, and IB enlgish 1/1 honor(pre/IB english10/2 Spanish(1/2)/US,VA history. Iím only taking English, math, and science IBs, not history or language.
- will have 6 IBs next year.(IB English2, High math1/2, IB biology1/2, and IB geography) with spniash 3 and government.

Community college courses: Precalculus with trigonometry, calculus2, vector calculus (enrolling), and biomedical ethics (also enrolling). For upcoming spring semester, I have registered for University physics 1 and International relationship1. I also have plan to take more. *have gotten all As.

ECs: -V.P, Islamic club (non-muslim representative)
-President/Founder, O.A.S.I.S (ESOL:international club)
-V.P, Gay-straight alliance
-treasure, Power team.
-Active member in Feminist Majority Foundation
-Active member in CUADP (Citizen United Against Death Penalty)
* As a member in Feminist/abolitionist in CUADP, I go to regional meetings, protest, and most of the time, getting petitions.
- Member in Math Honor Society
- Member in NHS (hopefully, but I donít care if I donít)
- and other things that are not important.

Job/volunteer:
- Page, public library (paid job, 15hrs/week)
- piano player for holy matrimonies (paid job, especially busy during June)- 7yrs of piano
- tutor, local elementary school (homework club) (100hrs)
- volunteer at feminist majority foundation (70hrs)

Honors: Best English student award, and besides that, I canít really think of anything.^^;

* Iím Korean, and have moved here 2yrs ago. I was in ESOL program for 1yr, and both of my parents didnít go to college, but they have high school diploma. Iím the first one to go to college, and I have green card, fortunately. My family is really low income (24,000/yr), and I have a sister with only a year gap.

Iíve tried my best, very best to be a great, yet active student. Iím not all A student. I have couple of B+, but no Bs.

Can anybody be kind enough to give me a good advice on what I have to do?

Thanks for reading!!

By Anduin (Anduin) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Wait, how are you going to manage to take Vector Calculus (which I assume means Multivariable) at the same time as AB Calc? The former depends extremely heavily on the latter.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

I've already learned all the stuff I will need in vector calculus in my country and by independent study over the summer. Only reason why I am taking AP calculus AB now is because my school won't let me take any AP exam without enrolling a class.

By Chen (Chen) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Advice: Don't ever call yourself "mediocre" again. You have no right to.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm pretty much mediocre student compared to other geniuses in here. I feel even stupid after reading all those stats with perfect score and perfect.. everything.

Anyways, Is anybody interested in evaluating my chance and giving me a good advice?

By Futureal (Futureal) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

you are in at least the top 1% of students your age...... if an SAT score says you are in the top 94% or something it doesnt take into account the millions that dont even take sat's.

you are by no definition mediocre.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

Well.. I don't know. Maybe I'm mediocre or I'm not. But that's not the important issue here!!

Can you guys think that I can make into those colleges that I have listed? What more or less do I have to do to increase my chances?

Or what college should I consider other than those 5?(Biomedical engineering/women's study)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

Johns Hopkins will be a high reach for you but you have a good shot at all the other schools on your list. And, I agree with the above poster, you are far from mediocre - make sure you let the admissions committees know about your background and achievements. They are impressive. good luck.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Can't tell till you have your SATs. You have an excellent chance in any engineering programs, I would say, being a female. With your math background, I would guess you will do very well in the math SAT. You sound, however , like you are looking a a premed route, and your lower English scores will hurt you in that direction. Biomedical Engineering is a very competitive program at Hopkins, and the kids have decent verbal and English scores since many are premeds who know they have a writing portion they must pass on the MCATs. Your ECs are excellent and you certainly sound like a competitive candidate for all of the other schools you listed. You might want to go the engineering route to get into a school you really like because that will be a strong hook for you, that and your interesting ECs, and background.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 02:22 pm: Edit

i think you should get into all of your schools. I mean you've been here for 2 years which is very impressive, and you have such good scores and outstanding classes. You're very disadvantaged, and your EC's are super-good considering you do all that, work, take cc classes and manage to volunteer all at the same time. If you raised your verbal you'd have an excellent shot at almost any school in the country.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Thank you all for such an encouraging comments and advices.^^;
I'm not going for premed route. I've felt strongly determined to be a biomedical engineer for too long time to think about other options.
I mean, I have to do what I like to do, right?

I guess I have to work on my english for verbal section in SAT really hard.

Anyone else?

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:20 am: Edit

bump

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I really love the ECs you have... you sound like a really interesting person.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Thank you..^^;
For the EC part, I really tried to do what I truly enjoy, not just for the admission part.
A lot of peopled showed their concerns about my ECs being too.. liberal and they also said being involved in contraversal issues would hurt me in the admission process.. but who cares..? I study.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:23 am: Edit

bump

By Jtmoney84 (Jtmoney84) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

I'm a Korean and I'll be taking SAT II Korean. How hard was it? I mean it must have been very easy for you since you lived there for what 12, 13 years. I mean, I lived in Korea and I speak Korean with my family, but my ability to fully communicate in Korean has dwindled for the last 4-5 years. Can you give me an advice?

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 07:52 am: Edit

I wouldn't worry too much about Korean SAT II because it is surprisingly easy.
If you have been speaking korean with your family continuously, you have no problem. Just try to speak korean more.. often and correctly.
Ah! Get some korean novels(not classic) and try to read them.

Just try to relax and don't forget to write everything down as you go along with listening part. They tend to confuse you, but if you have everything write down as you listen to it, you wouldn't have any problem.

My sister will be taking it in November too,
Good luck!

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page