I Want an LAC, but Will an LAC Want Me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I Want an LAC, but Will an LAC Want Me?
By Radiostar (Radiostar) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

If you noticed that the subject header rhymed, it was intentional. I'm a hardcore groove machine that just don't have an off-switch. Keepin' it real, baby. Oh yeah.

That being said, here's my stats. I'm currently a senior who is befuddled, bewildered, and otherwise confused and confounded. My plans for a major are about as hard-set as a map carved in jello; let's not even mention career plans. That's why I'm looking for a good, reputable LAC with small classes and a chance to figure out just what I want to do with my life.

And since you, the all-knowing internet collective, are so happy to help out a total stranger, I'm going to post my stats and we'll all decide exactly where in the college gene pool I fall. To make this all-the-easier, I've provided more information than anyone could ever possibly want.

Without further ado:

Parents are alums/famous? : No

GPA (weighted) : 4.49
GPA (unweighted) : 3.74
SAT : 1600
ACT : 35
SAT II : untaken as of now
AP Tests : Euro Hist AP (5)
National Merit : Semifinalist, hoping for Finalist

Transcript :

ENGLISH:
English Honors (9,10)
English IB (11,12)

GEOGRAPHY/HISTORY:
World Geography Honors (9)
European History AP (10)
History of the Americas IB (11)
20th Century World History / American Gov't (12)

MATH:
Algebra II Honors (9)
Precalculus Honors (10)
Calculus IB (11)
Calculus III IB (12)
Statistics IB (12)

SCIENCE:
Introduction to Investigative Sciences (9)
Biology Honors (10)
Physics IB (11)
Physics II IB (12)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE:
Spanish 3 (9)
Spanish 4 (10)
Spanish 5 IB (11)
Spanish 6 IB (12)

ART:
Art Foundations (9)
Drawing (10)
Commercial Art (11)
Sculpture (11)
Studio Art IB (12)

MISCELLANEOUS:
Psychology IB (11)
Theory of Knowledge IB (11)
Forensics, Advanced Forensics (9,10)
Journalism, Advanced Journalism (9,10)

Extracurriculars (or, "where it all falls apart"):

Forensics (9,10) - Several first and second place awards won at the Regional and State level for Humorous Interpretation and Improvisation.

Journalism (9,10) - Head Cartoonist for two years running, 1st place awards won at Regional and State level for Cartooning and Hand-Generated Graphics.

Mattie Rhodes Art Gallery (11,12) - Help inner-city kids learn to draw, that sort of thing. Involves speaking Spanish.

Amigos de las Americas (11,12) - Sent to live in a village in southern Mexico with one other English-speaking volunteer for six weeks during the summer; taught English classes, planted nutritional gardens, and painted a mural stressing the importance of education.

Art (10+ years) - Significant skill in both hand-drawn and digital art, most notably graphic design and cartooning. Can also sculpt a mean piece of clay. Taught self Photoshop and Flash. Have sold several commission pieces to businesses.

Guitar (6+ years) - Private lessons, several bands, moderate talent. Not recruit- or scholarship-worthy, that's for certain. Currently building an electric guitar by hand.

Pie - Delicious.

I think that about covers it. Long story short: Demanding courseload, decent grades, surprisingly high SAT score (it came out of nowhere), lacking ECs, and I've never taken Chemistry.

All right, those who survived the novel I've written above. Sock it to me.

P.S. - Seriously considering Haverford, Swarthmore, Oberlin, Pomona, Macalaster, and Skidmore. If that helps any.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

You have a very good chance at a lot of the places you listed although there are a few glaring omissions in your choices (Amherst, Williams, Vassar, Middlebury, etc.). A word of warning, schools like Haverford are going to see your SAT scores and think that you really have no intention of going there (even if you do) so you have to make a big effort to let those schools know you are interested. If you don't , those places might waitlist you. At least that is what my guidance counselor said to me when I told him I was applying to Haverford (I have 1600 as well). Except for that little quirk, I would say you have a great shot.

By Allison (Allison) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

have you looked at bowdoin? because i go there, and you've got a great chance there too... and it's awesome. but so are all the other schools you listed (though i lived right near skidmore, and kids there had a reputation for being snotty).
best of luck to you - i sincerely believe that you have a great shot at any of the schools you listed.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

If you love art, Skidmore has amazing facilities/faculty. And just from your words, you seem like the type who would love it there. Visit if you can!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page