Honda, Toyota, Nissan, enough for Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Honda, Toyota, Nissan, enough for Harvard?
By Pacman (Pacman) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:01 pm: Edit

I spent about half a year (on my own initiative) designing and perfecting an infinite ratio gearbox that a professor described as a "breakthrough"

Basically it'll allow vehicles to automatically shift to the the most efficient engine rpm for any speed you are driving. It increases fuel economy an average of 3mpg and it can increase the acceleration of a mid sized car. (0 to 60, 1 second less)So instead of having 5 or 6 discrete speeds like a typical manuel or automatic, you can have a continous spectrum of speed. There are a couple of such transmission already (such as on the Honda Insight and Honda Fit)but they have serious drawbacks. Due to the fact they are friction driven and requires complicated hydraulics. My design eliminates all the above problems handsomely.

Honda, Toyota, and Nissan, and some other pending companies are already seriously evaluating my design for possible developement and use. It's already in patent pending status.

Will this increase my chance of getting into Harvard, MIT, or Stanford?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Yes. Yes it will. If it's good enough you can retire after college.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Oh, and M.I.T loves when one of their students makes a breakthrough discovery. That equals money for them.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

How did you come about inventing this device? And why haven't you submitted it to Siemens Westinghouse or INTEL?

By Pacman (Pacman) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

I'm currently a 2nd year university student. So obviously I couldn't enter the Siemens Westinghouse or Intel competititon. But it's ok. If all goes well, but design can be used on any machine with transmission: cars, motorcycles, boats, construction machinery, military vehicles, even bicycles! Maybe in a couple years you might see a infinite speed bike which isn't a whole lot more complex than the ones now. My lawyer for the patent estimates my design can bring in something in the hundred millions over the 17 or 18 years of patent.

For decades the automotive industry has tried to come up with a fully toothed, no slip, reliable continously variable transmission. But it's very hard. So far they only have friction driven belt-type, that limits the application only to very tiny cars. My design is essentially a conventional gear box,it's fully geared and toothed, but it can take on an unlimited gear ratio.

Some of my other accomplishment that can hopefully help me transfer to MIT or Stanford:

7th place nationwide in Harvard sponsored physics contest (Boston Area Undergraduate Physics Competition)

36th on the 2002 Putnam

So far I'm at U of I, but I have a REAL need to transfer because it's only my second year but I've completed 90% of the undergrad course in my major! I hope MIT can understand my urgent need!

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Hmm, go for it. But another question. Why do you go to this website? You obviously have something going for you, no one here can give you any advice . . .

By Pimpdaddy (Pimpdaddy) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

i know this is kinda unrelated, but doesnt audi have its multitronic, which has "an unlimited gear ratio"?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Yeah, I just looked that up on the net and I think it's true. Hmm, is yours somehow different than Audi's?

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

That is great pacman- good luck!

By Wharton1986 (Wharton1986) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:42 am: Edit

pacman.

your just the guy every entreupreneur out there is looking for.

i say screw nissan,toyota.
let me market your thing.
together well make millions.

aaaaa,,,,.....doi sound weird?.

lol... i want to know how yo carried on research.you need money for that rite?

and are u sure that yyour product is gonna get passed?

By Pacman (Pacman) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Pimpdaddy, yes, Audi does have it's own CVT called the multitronic, and so do Honda, Toyota, and a bunch of other auto manufacturers. But if you read closer, they are all friction drives, which means they have no teeth on the belts, it totally depends on friction. It requires hydraulics to exert the HUGE force to create the friction and it even so, the belt will slip due to the nature of it. Frictional belts only have a efficiency of 80%. But gears and chains have an efficiency of 99%.

It's very knotty and hard to design and gear/chain drive that can take on any radius. Because the chain can't be stretched (or else it'll be useless) and the distance between the teeth has to be fixed. The auto manufacturers have been looking for a design like this for a long time, but they've all failed. So far the frictional drive they have cannot be used for powerful engines such as on SUVs, only on small cars. Until now...my design is basically a conventional gearbox but it can take on infinite ratio. The design is very simple, but extremely unique. It can easily be used on any machine, such as cars, motorcycles, trucks, bicycles, construction earth movers...even tanks maybe.

To Alimshik: why am I at this website? Because I need people to evaluate my chance of transferring into MIT or Stanford. My college GPA is great but my high school GPA wasn't up to their standards. I wonder how that'll affect me.

By Pacman (Pacman) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Warton, I believe my design is a breakthrough, and so does the head of the mechanical engineering dept. So far the global companies are considering it, so that means it's a pretty good design. Because generally big companies don't take independent inventor's ideas seriously unless they are very good.

No, you don't need money for the "research". There was no research involved. The problem is clear to you and you simply have to use good creativity and perseverance and come up with something that solves the problem. I've spent probably $3 on some cardboard and glue. That's what I used to build a basic working model. Once my idea works, I patented it. Developing it and actually putting it into use is up to the big companies, I don't have to spend any money for that.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Wow, amazing. I don't know what to say other than you definitaly have a super super good chance at M.I.T/Stanford. Good luck.

By Kyle (Kyle) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Why don't you graduate from U of I early, and focus on marketing/further developing your product, or go on to a top-tier engineering grad school? (MIT, UC Berkeley, Stanford). Your grad degree is more important and you obviously have the qualifications. Why transfer? It's not worth it in my eyes. Who cares where you go for undergrad when you develop a product like that?

By Pacman (Pacman) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:32 am: Edit

I slacked off in high school, so my GPA wasn't too high. I spent all my time on math and physics. Even though I won national recognition for math and physics, due to my GPA, I didn't even try to apply to a prestigious school.

I changed since entering college and my college GPA is very good. But GPA is the most important thing in the college admission process and I'm worried my high school GPA will still haunt me. Especially at a selective school like MIT or Stanford. They have tons of applicants with perfect high school AND college GPAs.

By Pit (Pit) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Hi Pacman
I am an investigator of cvt fully geared, please will can you send me the operation principles to me, for interchange ideas and suggestions.

My e-mail is :

starhill911@yahoo.com

Bye

Pit

*/*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page