Please evaluate!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Please evaluate!
By Jennniii (Jennniii) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

gpa: 3.55 weighed
sat score: 1110 (hope to raise it to at lesat 1300)

freshmen:
h english c,b
algebra II a,b
physics c,c
chinese a,b
h global studies b,a
study hall/ta a,a
cross country/track a,a

sophomore:

chinese: b,a
math analysis c,b
choir a,a
h english b,b
h world history b,b
track a
study hall a
junior college speech class a

junior (attempting classes):

h chinese
h english
ap civics/econ
ap chemistry
junior college calculus

summer skool stuff:
safety ed....a
chemistry ap...c (retook it and got an a)
computer ed...a

activities:
church worship team (guitar/key board)
church body worship team leader
drama team
guitar club
speech and debate
chinese club
track
piano (two times excellent for calif. teacher's association competition..or something like that)
leo club treasurer
key club officer

race: most idenfity with chinese, but also white, hispanic, and native american

i want to see what my chances are for:
uc irvine
uc berkely
ucla
georgetown university
george washington university
boston college
stanford university
harvard university
usc

By Sailorgirl1985 (Sailorgirl1985) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I'd say you'd have a shot at Irvine, and perhaps Boston College, Georgetown or George Washington with a 1300 SAT score espescially if you raised your gpa a little. The others might be a little out of your range but you could certainly try applying to USC or Berkeley, you never know what will happen if you don't try.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

You definetely have a shot at stanford and harward........why not try mit and princeton as well

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Stanford and Harvard might be out of your range.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

How native American are you? How hispanic are you?

Are you registered in a native American tribe?

If you are like 1/3rd Native American and registerred with a tribe, that will help you a LOT.

I'd apply, if you are only slightly native American or Hispanic, to UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCD, UCI, UCD..

You don't really stand a chance at the others except USC, maybe BC and GWU, if you are just a Chinese kid.

By Jennniii (Jennniii) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

i'm 1/8th native american/hispanic. about tribe..i have no clue where my ancestor came from..so therefore i don't think i'm registered to a tribe. i think my hispanic orgin comes from mexico. my white origin comes from america...tracing back to somewhere in europe.

Edited info: info.
--excluding freshmen year..i have about a 3.77 gpa (weighed).

--accomplishments:
algebra school recognition Golden State Exam
Geometry Honors Golden State Exam

--volunteer work:
two time vbs leader
babysitting
girl scouts
christian services for the blind (intern.)
Shriner's hopsital
American Cancer Society's Relay for Life
local public library (for two summers)

--extra cirricular activities:
former girlscout (quit in 6th grade..probably doens't count now)

--schools sports
(not sure if i put this but...)

varisty track (two times)
jv cross country

By Jennniii (Jennniii) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

anyone?! (w/my new stats too :D). please be as brutality honest....

if i get a 5.0 gpa this year..n a 1400 sat score this year..would that bump me up enough to get into a ivy league (i think no...but i want a confirmation)

By Calidan (Calidan) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

with the new stats (ie 3.7 and 1400) i think that you would get into: boston college, george washington, irvine, and usc. berkeley, ucla, harvard, georgetown, and stanford are kinda out of your league but you should still try! :)

By Jennniii (Jennniii) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

bump

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 02:08 am: Edit

if people with 3.5's got into harvard, it would be full of hobos.
No offense, but you'll get into harvard and stanford when pigs fly over the frozen landscape of hell.

you need safetys. Even if you manage to raise your score to a 1300, with that gpa the only places you will stand a chance at are irvine and gwu.

The rest are LOOOONG reaches

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:43 am: Edit

ive met a harvard student with a 3.3 GPA.
She was not a celebrity and did not have famous or rich family members or relatives.

uhm...im still waiting to meet the pigs who can fly over the frozen landscape of hells though. =)

Seriously, I really have met somebody in Harvard with a 3.3 GPA. I met her during HACIA Democracy held this year in Guatemala City. I tried asking for her SAT I and SAT II score, but she didnt tell me. (im guessing it was really really high.) But she did swear to me that she had the 3.3 GPA. Jennniii, I think what Rubenizm ment is that your college list is pretty "out-there." There are people with 1500's and awesome SAT II scores that still worry if they are going to be accepted to Harvard, Yale, etc. Try modifying your list...
and good luck.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:27 am: Edit

Jennniii, Wjk323 is right on the money. There are so many kids out there with sterling stats that do not get into HPY etc.Those schools are really lottery tickets for anyone. But when you don't have the basic stats, they are even more out there.
I do know several low GPA, low SAT cases who are in these schools. One is from a well known boarding/prep school with a 3.2 who took the hardest courses that the school offered, came from a hard luck background, and was a truly phenomonal person with the way he pulled himself from a 2.0 (barely) to a 4.0 in the time he was at this school. The school put its voice in the process and supported him heavily and he did get in. But knowing this young man personally, though not well, I have to say that he was a truly special person and Harvard was quite right in giving him special consideration. Another low achieving student was an Olympian and that again counted heavily. If you have truly national or international talents, they can go a long ways in mitagating other deficiencies in the transcrip. Another is a celebrity who missed a good part of the school year. But if you don't fall into those categories, acceptance is truly unlikely in the highly selective schools.
Multi cultural/racial students do perk up interest and if you can write a great essay playing this up you can stir up some interest in that area. Call about the Indian ancestry--I have heard mixed reports--some say you need to be in the registry and may be asked for your registration number. You only need one app for the UC schools and can choose a safety in that app as well as Berkeley and LA, Stanford, Harvard, Georgetown are 3 stretches for you. Put USC, GW and BC as matches. That is 7 applications. Find 3 more fun matches for yourself by looking at schools that have 50% of their SATs like yours. That make 10 applications, your dream schools are covered, your safeties are covered and you should have high and low matches that you really like. That's what I would recommend for you.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:29 am: Edit

Jennniii, I agree with Janimom 100%.
Apply to 10 colleges following Jamimon's procedure. You get your wish, which is to apply to Harvard and Stanford, but also having some back-ups in case everything goes wrong.

By Jennniii (Jennniii) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

thanks guys for the input!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page