What is the hardest AP course?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: What is the hardest AP course?
By Spacecandle (Spacecandle) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

In your people's opinion, what do you think the hardest AP class is?

Do you think AP Psychology would be considerable to independent study?

Your responses would be appreciated! Thanks.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

AP Calculus BC is the hardest AP course. My friend is taking AP Psychology and he said its not a hard course, but I would suggest doing an independent study in it senior year. That's what I'm doing anyway.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

AP Calc BC is hard as hell. I'm taking it this yr. I thought that it's just AB + more but the material is so much more difficult to understand.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

AP US History in my opinion, even though I haven't taken BC yet. The workload is huge compared to any math or science course.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

ap psych is the easiest! everybody should do it independent study!

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Is AP Psychology really that easy? If it's a lot of memorization I don't think I'd be willing to do it junior year - it would be too stressful on my mind.

By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

TAKE AP HUMAN GEO for independent study. they just came out with the study guide and im gonna take that test this year. its easy as hell.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

human geo, government, psych are probably the easiest ones.
Calc isn't that hard. At my school there are about 100 people taking it(out of 1800) and we don't have that Ab then BC sequence, we go to BC right after precalc. So far it's really easy for me and most in my class, who're mostly seniors and aren't neccesarily really good at math.
Conceptually the hardest one i think is AP Physics. I'm taking it, it's alright now, but i heard it get SOOOO hard. AP Chem is hardest by the amount of workload. All the people i know say ap chem is really hard already.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

i heard econ is worth independent study also. I repeat, if you're good at math calculus will not be the hardest AP. This may vary by school system, but our calc bc is really popular and like 80% get a 3 or above.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

AP Spanish Lit is my personal hardest, but courses like that have rather subjective difficulties. I'd probably have to say AP Physics C is the toughest overall. AP Psych seems like it would be a great independent study course to me.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

oh yeah i'm sure the language ones are hard as hell. I'm in french 3 as a junior so i'm not gonna have to take them. HA!

By Anduin (Anduin) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

BC Calculus is, in my experience, an extremely difficult course. I have heard that it is much more difficult and much more in-depth than AB. However, because of the type of people who take it, the score distribution does not reflect this. In 2002, about 44 percent of people got a 5 on BC Calc, the highest percentage of any test.

Latin Vergil is difficult because there is soooo much to do. With over 1800 lines in the syllabus, there is little wonder that the College Board has given its students a break by putting it on the last day of AP Weeks.

USAP involves a great deal of reading and outlining. Euro is similar, but the test is not as difficult because, at a large number of schools, students take Euro as sophomores and USAP as juniors. This is especially true in the East.

I am taking Chemistry and Physics C, and thus far neither one is anywhere near as much work as BC, Vergil, or US History.

As for the relative difficulty of the AP tests themselves, although numbers vary from year to year, overall, German has been the hardest to get a 5 on, with USAP a close second. This is from my U.S. History AP teacher, who is a reader.

By Rosiebabe5 (Rosiebabe5) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

So, on your apps does it look better if youre taking the *harder* aps, or you've gotten a 5 on a *hard* ap (such as AP US)??

By Ceetotheizzle (Ceetotheizzle) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Chem, Euro, US History are probably the hardest. I think Calc BC is so easy its not even funny... maybe cause i'm natural at math ( 800 SAT 1)I hate history.. to much memorization... useless towards the future.

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

Yeah, Calc BC and Chem is hard.
I heard that Bio is not so difficult.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

uh AP Chem so far (its only been 2 weeks) is easier than Chem 1-2.

We are just reviewing now, the material doesn't seem hard or too fast paced for review or anything. It also helps that my teacher is extremely nice, writes notes for us and puts them online. Those same notes are put into a powerpoint presentation which he shows us on a TV during class so we can follow with the downloaded notes what he is talking about. HW is due at the end of the week, so are labs. The class is really pretty enjoyable so far.

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

So far, Physics has been a breeze, and US History's been straightforward so far. However, I'm not really digging Calculus at the moment. There are only three kids in my class (scheduling), and our teacher uses that as an excuse to move ridiculously quickly through our lessons.

Simply put, she doesn't really teach.

However, AP Spanish is almost the opposite. It's a full class, and half of it spends half of each period complaining whenever the teacher asks a question in Spanish. It's going to be cake.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

As with anything mathematical, BC Calc is going to be easy for some people. In my school only about 10% of the senior class takes it, when 1/3 of the class would probably do ok in it. The result is that the teacher can make a rigorous curriculum, and the test is a virtual breeze. 100% of BC Calc students have received a 5 in the past 2 years

By Istalam (Istalam) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

AP french,Ap chem.
Statistically
AP US
AP CHEM
BC is not hard. I have no idea what some people are talking about. However it does depend on teacher. In my school, last 9 years with out teacher no one has gotten below a 4, and that was like 1 kid a year.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

I think any AP math or science course would be really hard.

I think AP US is extremely easy. Probably one of the easiest.

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

AP Calc AB was really easy for me (I am very inclined in math and science). I am taking AP Chem, AP Biology, AP Physics and AP English this year and I don't find any of them to be extremely difficult. If I had to choose, for me personally, I would pick AP English to be my hardest.

By Driven (Driven) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

AP English..how can u study or prepare for that?? I know I couldnt..and US history...sooo much reading...and I STILL didnt get the score I wanted
Chem is pretty hard too, but not impossible if u work at it.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

If you're good/solid/confident/gifted at English (whether you like it or not), you'll be good at AP English, as well as on the verbal portion of the SAT I, and the writing SAT II.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

my post got deleted. I don't understand why, i just said why my calc Bc is easy and everyone in my class seems to understand it. I have a really really really good teacher though. Although if you're not a math person AND you don't have an excellent teacher, it might be a hard class.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

these are the ones that are worth taking independently:
ap geo
ap econ
ap world history
ap us history
ap computer science a
ap euro
ap psych

in my opinion you can succeed on those if you put some time into them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page