How much can hispanic/latino help?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: How much can hispanic/latino help?
By Mike105 (Mike105) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I am wondering where my chances would improve the most if I were to apply early being hispanic/latino.

EA:
Yale
Stanford
Harvard

ED:
UPenn (Wharton specifically)
Princeton

I heard that applying early decision adds about 100 pts to your SAT score -- but will that help on EA too?

I don't want to "waste" my early application on a college that would give me the same chances applying early or regular. I know that all the statistics say that Early is better than Regular just by looking at the percentages, but I am unsure if this would carry over to URMs.

Thanks a lot in advance

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Well it depends. What are your other numbers like? Post, and maybe we can evaluate.:)

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:26 pm: Edit

Applying early to Wharton as a hispanic would help a lot.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

It would add 1600+ pts to your SAT score..

Being Hispanic/Black is more important than any SAT score, as long as you get like a 1300+).

I'd feel much more comfortable if I was Hispanic and had a 1300 SAT than if I had the same stats as a white guy with a 1600 SAT. I think any college would prefer the Hispanic guy, as long as both are excellent students.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

Don't think of minority status as compensating for test scores...it's a different advantage altogether. Your chances at any school are improved if you are a URM, and I would say it would help you at all of those schools equally.

If I had to chose just one school for you to apply EA/ED to (because you can choose only 1 out of the 5, right?), I would choose Wharton.

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Oh, there is one thing I forgot to mention about my status. I am not a very poor hispanic that goes to a public school. I am a middle class one that attends a private school in the city. So I dont have any sad song to sing to the adcom.

Right now I have 1350 SAT I (I'm retaking that and might get 1400) and for my SATII I have a 710 math. I am taking writing and a third SATII soon. I to get in the low 700s for those too. My GPA is a 3.8 (on a 4 scale) but my school dosnt rank so I heard that it dosnt make a difference. If I were to be ranked I am sure I would be in the top 10% or higher. I have fairly standard ECs -- nothing that just pops right out.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Well, don't think of your admission as garunteed if your SAT isn't over 1400. Your GPA is good (assuming it's unweighted), and since GPA is the most important factor, you have a good thing going for you.

Where else are you applying?

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Well, I'm not sure what I should do, come regular decision in terms of safeties. Right now, I'm thinking of Wharton or Harvard for Early. I'm just not sure if I'm shooting too high. I'd apply to the rest of the schools on my list uptop this post in regular. Maybe Chicago, Northwestern, BU, NYU or USC. I'm just not sure what are my chances to get into any of these places. And I still have to retake my SAT I and do the SAT IIs.

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

bump

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

bump

By Sidis (Sidis) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

What about me? I'm hispanic, but in live in Ecuador, 1300 SAT, 780 math iic, 760 physics, IB candidate, classic guitar player (had some presentations and went to some contests), paintor (yet, I don't plan to study that). I guess colleges should consider I'm not used to US testing right? I even had to study english from scrap for those SATs! What would be a good college for me in Math-Science-Phylosophy ??

Thanks

Sebastian

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

you will not be considered hispanic and afirmative action will not be applied to you as you are not a URM as far as colleges are concerned because you're not a US permanent resident.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

what is afirmative action? And what is a URM? Is it good or not for me?

By Chenfei (Chenfei) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Erm... to make it short, your chances are slim to none like all international students applying to the Ivy League.

Being a underrepresented minority does not help as long as you are not a US permanent resident. And saying that you are not used to US testing does not help either... because there will be thousands of international students out there with much better scores.

By Sidis (Sidis) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

But what about other colleges (Less selective than ivy league's)... What colleges would be a good match for my stats?

By Sidis (Sidis) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

Please answer! I need help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page