Stanford EA hopeful

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Stanford EA hopeful
By Kushm (Kushm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:41 pm: Edit

i may apply stanford EA, and was wondering where i stand.

NUMBERS AND SUCH
93 gpa (3.86 converted)
1400 SAT
32 ACT
720, 750, 780 sat 2s

ACTIVITIES:
Research:
Started researching with my chem teacher 3 weeks before school started and continued with a research class during the entire year. will possibly present at the KU medical board and to KOCH industries. we will eventually be published as a part of the school's entire research team since it was stared in 2000. we will begin extracting mercury from fish. teacher said she will write amazing rec.

Varsity tennis (9-12) letter

Varsity scholars' bowl (9-12) letter

robotics (10-12 /w nationals 11)

science olympiad (10-12)

240 hrs community service

Have had rounds with doctor, will attend open heart surgery.

Won some medals at a state math competition 11th grade.

SENIOR year courses:
humanities(like philosophy, or IB TOK), ap english seminar 4, ap physics, chem research, ap bio, multivariable calc, snn web design

MISC:
I like table tennis, tennis, reading essays. im asian. writing an essay about a unique wedding i attended in new mexico. i live in kansas.

RECS:
chem teacher (will be damn good), spanish teacher (she loves me so it will also be top notch), math teacher (not as good as the others but good)

thanks for taking the time to read this

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

You got a good shot, maybe not EA though.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

doesn't EA increase one's chances??

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Not necessarily. EA higher admission rates tend to indicate stronger applicants than the regular pool. I would go for EA though! Good chances. Since your kind of a borderline case, I would seriously advise that you write superb essays. Make sure the wedding one somehow relates to YOU! Since that is what ad-coms are looking for.

By Kushm (Kushm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

thanks for the responses. i had always thought EA increased chances but i see your point. my essay is focused on the wedding and how it was so bizarre(and fun) that it opened my mind creatively. im not really sure if that's the way i should go, but i wrote one and it doesnt seem bad at all.

anyone else?

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

he's not borderline at all. Remember, SATs really don't count for that much. I'd say he has a good shot w/the research and all.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

EA does increase chances. Although early admissions applicants generally have better average stats than those that apply regular decision, those who are admitted early have lower average stats than those admitted regular decision. That is the case at Harvard and most of the other schools that have early admissions (one notable exception is Boston College). I am pretty sure it will be the same at Stanford and Yale in their new EA programs

By Kushm (Kushm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

thanks for the responses. research is actually a class but she only lets in 6 people each year. This year, she was pushed to pick 10 because we apparently were one of her best classes. it is fun though and i started ahead of every one else in my class when i did it in the summer.

By Kushm (Kushm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

anymore advice?

By Kushm (Kushm) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

bump

By Kushm (Kushm) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I'd appreciate anymore advice I could get, thanks.

By Kushm (Kushm) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I have one more question for anyone able to answer it: i dont have many leadership positions (except for stuco treasurer junior year). will that hurt a lot?

By Kushm (Kushm) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

I bump my above question.

By Kushm (Kushm) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Btw, I'm a bit worried because the research class is connected with school. My teacher is a researcher and there are 10 of us doing different things (injecting samples into gc, synthesizing fish oil supplements, uv vis etc). it's really interesting and fun. The requirement for getting into the class is that you have to take chemistry, ap chemistry before, and then she has to pick people who want to get in. im kind of worried it wont look too impressive because it's connected with the school, and it has to look really good considering the stats of people applying to stanford and yale. What do you guys think?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page