HELP ME!! HAVE I GOT ANY HOPE???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: HELP ME!! HAVE I GOT ANY HOPE???
By Kahlaen (Kahlaen) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:10 am: Edit

PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE...

I'm a white, female

Stats: 1430 SATs

No SATII but 3 British Alevels at AAA and 4 As at AAAA.

ECs: School prefect
Young leader at junior girl scouts, with some leadership qualifications
Member of church choir, gained some awards
Pier mentoring

My ECs suck but i think i can write a good essay.

My reach schools: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, MIT, Brown

Good matches: NYU, Carnegie Mellon, UChicago, UCLA and Johns Hopkins

Safeties: Universuty of Maryland, University of Iowa, and Rutgers

Can anyone help me at all, do i have a chance???

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

No chance at reaches, though that is why they are reaches. John Hopkins probably is more of a reach than a match. UCLA is probably too, they are cutting down acceptance rates for out-of-state, and you certainly count if you are from England. UChicago is also very tough, but if you write good essays, you will get in. That is the biggest factor in acceptance at UChicago.

I think you are in at NYU (assuming that you have a near-perfect GPA and take advanced courses--btw you should really list your gpa and courses).. Carnegie Mellon possibly.. females are attractive to engineering schools. I think you need some higher quality safeties. I've never really heard anything good about those schools.

By Neo (Neo) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Where in England are you from?

I'm looking to go back to London someday...see me family again :^)

Btw, find better safeties. You can get into those you listed for sure, but I'd bet a lorry you could get into better ones without a twit more effort.

Also, how are your recs? Try erasing anything spotty from your application, so you can present your best face to the admission committees wherever you apply to.

By Rachel555 (Rachel555) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

in terms of your safties, i dont know much about university of iowa or rutgers, but i live in md and have met many people who LOVE university of maryland. its reputation has gone up considerably in recent years and definately is worth attending.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

my brother hates it

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

if you like attention, small(under 100) classes, teachers who wanna know you, then maryland isn't the school for you. My brother takes 200, 300 level classes and they are PACKED even though he's in honors.

By Istalam (Istalam) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Great A level grades, You have a small chance at Reaches. Chicago is def. a reach as well. Find better safeties (i know im being repetitive). U will be fine in the end though.

By Kahlaen (Kahlaen) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Any ideas for god safety/reaches/matches there's no info on American universities at my school so this is all internet based research.

My Alevel courses were Maths, History and Physics and i also took German for AS level.

Should i put my GCSE grades on the application?

I'm from Brockley, London.

Thanx, Kahly

By Kahlaen (Kahlaen) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

OH and i forgot we don't have GPA or rank in England, the system is entirely different.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page