Band- worth it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Band- worth it?
By Frogman9595 (Frogman9595) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I am a sophomore and hope to apply to top ivy league colleges. I am pursuing accelerated academics and so far have a 4.0 near the top of my class. However, I plan to take band all 4 years of high school, which will make it very difficult to stay ranked with the best of my class, since band is not honors. If I were to do well in band and participate in regional and state level honor bands, would this be worth it to compensate for a lower rank and possibly less AP classes? Would it be a strong EC? Would it be worth it even if I don't plan to major in anything related to music?

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

You will not be denied from any school solely on account of taking an arts course that is not available as an honors course. Sure its a good EC, depending on your commitment level. If it conflicts with an AP that you MUST take, try to get other participants together to lobby for it to offered at a different time? I did that in high school and succeeded!

One AP won't be the thing standing between you and a school you want to get into--focus on what you love. Colleges are looking for passion in a particular area. If its music, then great--if not, figure out what it is for now. No one here can tell you whether or not its worth it to you.

By Kcg (Kcg) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

band is DEFINATELY worth it. Its what makes you stand out from all of the other high-ranking kids in your school. it also shows determination. stick to it!

By Asallan (Asallan) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

If you love playing in the band, do NOT drop it to save your GPA. You should do what you love, instead of becoming a college-whore. Never sell away who you are for a grade, because if I were an admissions counselor, I'd hate to have a kid that was more interested in keeping a number than pursuing something he loved.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

hahahahaha college-whore! yes that is true. take band as long as you can. if you get bored take jazz band and change level (ie alto to tenor or tenor to bari etc) to spiff it some. don't be a college-whore! hoohee

By Xtech (Xtech) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

colleges love people who commit to something like band or chorus for 4 years. I never knew that any schools actually offer it as an inschool class. At our high school there is a Period 0 reserved for Band/Chorus which starts before school.

By Shabadew (Shabadew) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Im a senior and have been in band all four years. It brought down my GPA because it isnt honors, so I just asked the administration if I could retroactively change all of my A's to passes. I moved from #10 to #6. woohoo!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page