Do I have any chance at Harvard????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Do I have any chance at Harvard????
By Geoffroy681985 (Geoffroy681985) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Do I stand any chance at admission to Harvard regular decision? I know that I am the average candidate at Harvard and I know that it is very difficult to evaluate somebody's chances based on just a list of statistics but I would appreciate any feedback. Here are my stats:

Caucasian Male attending Massachusetts public high school

Class Rank: Not yet announced but I will be in the top 1% - 2% of a class of about 450.

GPA: 3.92

SAT I: 1500 (Math - 760, Verbal - 740)

SAT II: Writing - 800, Math IIC - 800, U.S. History - 740

AP: U.S. History - 4, Lang. & Comp. - 4

Junior Schedule:
AP U.S. History
AP Language & Composition
Honors Physics
Honors Precalculus
French 4
Latin 3
Physical Education

Senior Schedule:
AP U.S. Government & Politics
AP Physics B
AP Psychology
AP French Language
AP Calculus AB (BC isn't offered at my school)
AP Literature & Composition
AP Latin Literature

Academic Honors:
-Outstanding Achievement in Honors World History I
-Outstanding Achievement in Honors Algebra 2
-Outstanding Achievement in French 3
-Outstanding Achievement in Latin 3
-College of the Holy Cross Book Prize

Extracurriculars:
-President of Academic Decathlon team
-President of National Honor Society
-Founder and director of school tutoring
organization
-Founder, co-editor, and columnist for NHS newspaper

Work Experience:
-Summer Internship for U.S. Congressman

As I said, I know I am just the average student applying to Harvard, so it's probably going to be a fluke if I get in. Also, what are my chances at any of the following schools:

Brown
Dartmouth
Amherst
Williams

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:34 am: Edit

although you have a good shot, there are no gurantees with those stats. everyone who applies to Harvard has them

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

Basically, if you write down everything that you've done, you probably won't get in. You have the right numbers and baseline extracurriculars, but that's just a start. A very solid start, to be sure, but your key to getting in lies in the essay.

Since I don't know you personally, I can't give you very personal advice, but in your essay, try to give the colleges a very unique picture of who you are. If you don't think your are unique, that's probably not true, and you have something in you that makes you deserve to get into Harvard. Pick that thing, whether it's a weird passion, a personality trait, or whatever, and write a funny, creative essay on it. If you've done something spectacular, write about it, but most importantly, write about why it was so spectacular for you. What did you learn, and why was learning that important?

If they can't forget you, they probably won't reject you. Unless you really offend them. In which case you have no chance. But you're smart enough not to do that, right?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

Yes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page