UC Berkeley?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: UC Berkeley?
By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:26 am: Edit

Hey all!
My name's Anna and I'm a high school senior from San Jose, CA. I homeschool, too, which I'm hoping is not a big issue in this all, but it probably will be unfortunately. Anyways, I'd love to go to Berkeley to study at their College of Chemistry ideally. I will probably go in as an undeclared major, since it is relatively hard to get into anything having to do with math, science, engineering, etc. Here are my stats, if you could kindly rate them, please:

SAT: 1340 (640 M, 700 V) will be taken again!!!
SAT II: 800 French, 750 Chem, 650 Math IIC (retake!!! predicted 750+...i don't know what happened), 620 Writing(retake!!! predicted 750+)

GPA: 3.99 (unweighted), ~4.75+ (weighted)

Senior class schedule:
Multivariable/Vector Calculus (community college)
Organic Chemistry(community college)
American Government
Differential Equations (community college)
Linear Algebra (community college)
English Composition (community college)
Psychology (community college)
Calculus-based Physics (depends on schedule, community college)

Classes already taken at community college:
First-year (single variable) calculus
General Chemistry (Chem 1A/1B)
Introductory Chemistry (two semesters)
French 1A/1B, 2A/2B, 3A (five semesters, have received Certificate of Proficiency in French)
Human Anatomy
Human Biology
English Composition
English Literature

ECs:
---tutor for all French classes at the college and for most chemistry classes
---instructional assistant for chemistry professor i.e. grading lab reports, exams, etc.
--collaboration on French workbook with college professor. book is sold at college bookstore with my name and hers on it.
--swimming
--dance
--reads a ton of other chemistry/math related literature
--language enthusiast: Irish, Elvish, Latin, German, French, etc.
--president of speech/debate club

Awards:
--Most Outstanding Foreign Language Student of 2001 in Santa Clara Country Community College level, freshman year of high school
--4th prize, national level, for university-level French essay contest (in French!) sponsored by Alliance Francaise
--two-time national semifinalist in speech
--My English professor wanted to enter my essay in a contest for the college's best essay for 2003, but unfortunately that event wasn't happening this year due to budget cuts
--(Please keep in mind that being a homeschooler has put me at a bit of a disadvantage on this front!)

I'm working on putting all of this together. There's undoubtedly more, I'm just waiting for it to come to my mind. And with it being so late, that's not helping an awful lot. ;)
Thanks everybody!
~Anna

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:27 am: Edit

Oh, and I am an avid amateur astronomer as well!!!! I forgot that, lol! Chabot is a big draw, being near Berkeley then! ;)
~Anna

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 04:05 am: Edit

Uh.. apply to the Ivies, you are a lock at Berkeley. I would think a homeschooler = diversity = good.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

--reads a ton of other chemistry/math related literature
--language enthusiast: Irish, Elvish, Latin, German, French, etc.

these don't count as EC's. Put them on the interests/hobbies category

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Thanx! Umm.....I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this lingo.....I'm a lock at Berkeley? Is that a sure admit or in your dreams, buddy, kind of thing? Thanx again!
Oh, and of course I won't count those as ECs on my application. I wasn't planning on doing that, and thanx for telling me. I think I will definitely talk about them though. :) Thanx again!
~Anna

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Oh! If you're urging me to apply to "Ivies".....what do you all think my chances are at MIT? That's my dream school, but I'm thinking my SAT scores are way low for that. But then I have all the other mathematics and science courses to compensate. Yet probably all the other people applying will have similar stats, no? Do you recommend applying to any schools in particular? I'm very open to suggestions....though I'd prefer to stay on either the West Coast or the East Coast. Thanx!
~Anna

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Anyone? What's a lock mean in this context? I feel like the teacher in Ferris Bueler's Day Off....lol....
~Anna

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Rowan (Rowan) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

A lock means it's a sure thing. I will only qualify that by saying that in this day and age of college applications, you are rarely a lock for any Top 25 school. Nonetheless, you definitely would be in the admit pile if I was in, no questions asked.

What kind of major are you looking at? I think you should put an application in at MIT because it is your dream school and you do show strength in math and science. Don't let 'I don't know' stop you; I'm certainly not, as I'd rather have it be 'at least I know' than to be left wondering.

By Chemyst (Chemyst) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

Thanx for replying! I'm looking at a chemistry major, but I also like astronomy and physics, too. Hopefully, I could combine some of these interests, to make it astrophysics, astrochemistry, physical chemistry, etc. I'm definitely going to apply to MIT and if I don't get in, I'm okay with that, because there's a whole lot more of you out there who are much smarter than I. :D I'm interested in Berkeley since it has a College of Chemistry and it is near a bunch of national labs, good opportunities for internships.
Ummm....are you also a math/science major? Just curious....
Thanx again!
~Anna

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page