What will these #s get me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: What will these #s get me?
By Busystudent (Busystudent) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

What kind of school could I get into with a resume like this?
3.6 unweighted scale (no weighted scale)
27 ACT (one try)
AP Calc. (only AP course offered)
Three sport athlete (team captain for all)
Choir president
student council member
class officer

By Liljay (Liljay) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

You can probably get into a good competitive school. But colleges look at how many ap's a school offers, and with only one, that puts you at a disadvantage.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

maryland, penn state, nyu are match/safetys. Cornell, penn, uva reaches.
I can't really think of any more but you probably fall into that category and your leadership is superb. Is 27 like 1200? or like 1400? Cuz that means something.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

I disagree with Liljay. Colleges want to see that you took advantage of the most challenging curriculum available at your school. If only one AP is offered, they do no penalize the student for that. If the hardest classes are honors classes, then they want to see that the student has taken the most rigorous offerings. Anything over and beyond the norm at the school also looks good. But if a student attends a high school that does not offer the AP curriculum, that does not necessarily put that student at a disadvantage.
Susan

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:59 am: Edit

"Colleges want to see that you took advantage of the most challenging curriculum available at your school."

Not only is that true for every type of school you can imagine, it's true even if you don't go to a school! Our daughters were educated at home. In their college applications they wrote about how they searched for superior textbooks and reading materials. That was their way of obtaining the most challenging curriculum.

If you are in a conventional school, not only can sign up for the most challenging courses of study, you CAN undertake to go beyond the required readings for those courses. If your AP teacher assigns three of a poet's works, you CAN also read a dozen more AND a book by a well-known literary critic of that poet. If you took the time to document a few instances of that sort of initiative and incorporated it into your college application, just think what effect that might have on an admissions committee! I suggest that it is music to their ears!

Yes, I know some of you are thinking, "Well, where would I put something like that in my application?" Don't worry about it----if such thoughts bother you, you are probably not the sort of student who would have taken the initiative to do any additional work in the first place.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:36 am: Edit

With your numbers (GPA and ACT), any 1st-tier school will be a reach. You're definitely on-target for a good 2nd-tier. What's your class rank?

Take the ACT again, or the SATs. An ACT of 27 isn't going to impress a good college (but isn't a deal-killer either).

If you're good enough at a sport to get the college coach to lobby hard for your admission, that could be a big plus at a top school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page