WILL I GET INTO STANFORD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: WILL I GET INTO STANFORD?
By Brianp (Brianp) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Can someone please tell me what you think my odds are of getting into Stanford?

GPA: 3.8, 4.4 weighted, no rank available
SAT 1510 M 800, V 710
SAT II U.S History 780
Math IIC 710
Writing 660
Writing and Math II are going to be taken again
AP's U.S History 5
World History 5

My dad went to Stanford. He is not a huge donor but he has given money. I don't know if that will have any effect on my chances. Because I volunteered at a campaign office, I am having a guy who is running for U.S Senator write my recommendation. I'm trying to build the whole passion for government thing by having my own political talk radio show and being president of the history club. I also T.A'd a Religion Class and did volunteering at a food pantry. I was on the golf team and am in the Film Club. One of my biggest holes is that I have no work experience and no rewards except National Merit Commendation.

Thanks

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Great chances! You have strong scores (though the 710 iic seems to overshadow your 800 m on the sat, bring that and the writing up some if possible), growing legacy, and pretty strong ec involvement. Make sure that this politician knows you well enough to write a personal recommendation for you, and if not, I suggest asking a teacher who knows you better instead.

I really think that with your scores and legacy status, they'll look right over your slight shortcomings.

By Magenta (Magenta) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

I think your odds are good, too. Do you have the political talk show now or is that something you are still working on forming?

Good luck to you!

By Brianp (Brianp) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm working on the SAT II. And yes the radio show is in its second season now. But don't make too big a deal about it, it's just a high school station.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Yes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page