CHECK THIS OUT!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: CHECK THIS OUT!
By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

heres the real thing uptill now

My name is Varenka Rdz, I was born in Mexico and currently living in Mexico still but I have lived in about 4 places in Mexico and also in Canada so my English is pretty good ,
I have a gpa of 3.8 , in class rank Iím 1st out of 20 students, I speak Spanish as my first language English as my second , and I speak French fluently.

some of my extra curricular activities Iíve been working on are:
Freshman year

*Debate team captain English/Spanish
*student council
*Oratory English/Spanish
*Poetry recitals English/Spanish
*School Play acting
*social participation such as: ECYD(guide), Angle for a day ,Club quinto guide, Un Kilo De Ayuda
*President of ANCLA( association of abstinence to smoking drinking and drugs) and conferences at my community
* courses and volunteer work at: homeless shelters, orphanages, helping kids with hearing disabilities.
*soccer , basket ball player at school for 7 years now
* tennis player for 10 years and regional winner for 2 years.
*private math and Chemistry Tutoring
*group of the international show case (investigation of cultures and languages)
9th grade summer: its not relevant but I helped around at a place where they breed dogs.

I plan to make these ones this year: (Sophomore)
*shadow on summer and help around
*student council
*Iím debate team cap (English)
*See some operations and oral surgeries.
* Some more volunteer work
*Work on my French and maybe get started on German
* Job (summer)
* Red cross volunteering (after school and on weekends)
* Basketball (Guadalajara and CECVAC Tournaments)
* Premios bachillerato Anahuac ( Debate in English and Spanish and oratory in English )
*Helping at an organization called Lazos (promoting and helping to find ways to raise money for the unprivileged kids at rural schools)
* Tutoring (Math ,Chemistry and Biology)
*Class President
*Continue preaching at rural places ,and still be ECYD Guide
* Club flame( soccer player Ė soccer coach)
* Continue soccer Ėtennis ( aiming for state title) Basketball ( school team Ė going to a few tournaments)
* Iím starting to make plans to fund a Earth club at school.

I know these ainít impressive but Iím really working hard to find something else to add to the list
I know I also need real good SAT scores , which I will try my hardest to obtain.

I want to major in Biology or pre-med and then I plann to attend med school.
Iím also thinking of applying to these other Univ.

Cornell University (ED )
Univ. of Michigan Ann Arbor
Boston Univ.
Tufts Univ.
NYU
Northwestern
John Hopkins Univ.
Univ. of Toronto
Columbia
Brown Univ.
McGill Univ ( 3 year biology major I like that!!)
U Toronto
U Rochester
Rice Univ
Harvard (EA)
Yale (EA)
Trinity univ
Baylor univ

and Iím still looking for other but Iím still keeping my options open
so I just want to as you guys for some advice am I doing alright?????
do you all think I can really get into one of those Univ.?
what else can I do?

oh um the high school Iím attending right now is a roman catholic private high school , and Iím NOT going to ask for financial aid I think that makes things easier.

aim over 1450 in my sat I and on the SAT II BIOLOGY CHEM and math , i will try aiming over 700
I really like playing tennis but would like to play college soccer .

My school offers no AP classes but in the senior year it divides onto fields of study , there are 4 fields, Bio Chemistry, Law,Math-Physics,Buisness

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

You're a little young and lacking score numbers to make a decision. Your ec's look very good- just try not to overdo it-colleges don't want to see that you've been planning your college application since 9th grade- they want you to do your activities because you love them. My recommendation would to pick 3-4 vital areas and concentrate heavily on them (tennis, clubs, or volunteer work). And again, i believe by the time you're taking the SAT's, you'll be taking the new version with the additional essay, so study hard.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

At this point, you're probably the most impressive candidate i've ever seen on these discussion boards. You're a leader, you've got the grades, you've OBVIOUSLY got a great deal of initiatives, and to boot, you have URM status. You might want to consider looking at some more...prestigious colleges like Harvard and the like. It seems like you'd do fine there.

You're doing very well with the activities, but I agree with whzup44412. Start to focus. If debate is your thing, begin throwing more time there win awards. Do whatever it takes, but be passionate about what you care about.

Congratulations on already being so qualified. If only myself and the rest of the applying seniors had your quals...:)

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

aw!! how sweet!!! thank you!!!!!
I have really been working really hard! because success is the result of hard work
i have tried so hard I love each and every activity i do
but actually being a step closer to fulfill my dream of being accepted even to just one of those Univ., thereís no bigger satisfaction :)!!

just one question what is an URM status??
thank you again any one else any comment, would be greatly appreciated

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

oh you mean URM (Under Represented Minority)

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

bump

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

you will get into harvard if you keep your grades 3.8 UW or higher and stay in all those activities and get leadership positions in some of them.. like debate team and maybe one or two more.

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 02:18 pm: Edit

thank you any school suggestions for a pre-med major?

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

bump

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

hey you've accomplished so much and it's only your sophomore year...wow, keep it up!

just a few reminders: financial status does not matter because the admissions process is need blind...they won't know how poor or rich you are unless you mention it somewhere else other than the financial aid form. so if you don't need the aid, it can't really help your chances...and it can't hurt you either if you need it.

also, this is just a reminder that although yale is EA, it's single-choice EA, which means if you decide on yale as your top choice, you can only apply to it early and nowhere else. oh and harvard is ED just so you know.

wow, your 10-year commitment to tennis is very impressive. you won regionals for two years? cool. was that before freshman year?

I see that you like debate/speech/oratory, student government, drama, participating in anti-drug campaigns, helping underprivileged people as well as those with hearing disabilities, soccer tennis, and basketball, tutoring math/science related subjects...you are also interested in the environment, an "international showcase,"... all in addition to being part of ECYD, "Angel for a day," "Club Quinto," and "Un Kilo de Ayuda," and the Red Cross...not to mention you also like languages. it's really cool that you like all of these things, but maybe it can help if you can try to focus on one or two things (I can sense that you're passionate about debate/oratory since it ties up with languages so maybe devote a little bit more time on that than you already do...try to win national awards). i really admire your talent in debate/speech because i'm not good at it at all. i can never get on the school team even lol.

just aim for a 1450+ on the SAT (which i think you can get anyways)...and make sure your essays and teacher recs are unique (that means do something unique in the classroom to make a unique impression on the teacher)...maybe try to bring your cultural perspective to classroom discussions (you're in an american hs right now, aren't you?).

best of luck to you. by the way, i'll be applying to college the same year as you...

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

Thank you!!!
thanks for clearing up the ED and EA subject
i think ill apply to harvard ED instead of cornell ed
this is my 11th year on tennis regionals was on the 8th and 9th grade and im going for it this year as well:)

yes i agree with you i should aim for awards on debate and oratory thats why im going to go to the bachillerato anahuac national constest in Mexico city,and try to win on debate(english)

god my dream is to get a 1450+!!! by the way i am taking the satII bio and chem when I finish this year because i wont be takeing those classes till my senior year.

oh yeah:) impresions are very important and dont worry i got my list of recs and dont's i know which teachers to ask allready :)
actually im at a hs in mexico its called Instituto Alpes de Saltillo, its an all girl private roman catholic hs

awsome! hope to see ya there some day
where are you considering to apply? what do you want to major in?

lets keep in touch: varr_rdz00@hotmail.com

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

b
u
m
p
:) please!!

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:58 am: Edit

do you guys think Harvard is a far far away reach for me??

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

Yes, many years away. Anything can happen by the time you apply. You have posted this several times on many boards. Why are you doing this? It is like a 10 year old asking her chances for any ivy league school. The answer is irrelevant because the application will not happen for so long. Time is the biggest factor for you and if you are posting this so many times, you are not using your time wisely. Didn't they throw you off these boards under another name?

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

okay listen Iím not 10 Iím 16 and its not the same post!! who are you to say Iím wasting my time? I am most certainly not you donít even know what I do all day!! so shut it
I posted my statís again because its changed and has more things that might be more helpful, look Iím just concerned about my future! so no I donít care what people like you say!!

but hey
gee thanks for being so helpful jamimom maybe you should let you own kid make his own decisions and not be like those annoying parents that do everything for their kids!! oh well I understand now ,
maybe you are just some HS drop out and donít want you kid to have a hard knock life, like yours and thatís why you are like 40 something and are involved in this kind of boards.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:36 pm: Edit

haha seriously jamimom how is SHE not using her time wisely asking about her chances for colleges?
You're the one hanging out at a college forum when you're not even applying to college

But seriously you will probably make it into all/most of your schools especially if you're not applying for finaid.
BTW Harvard isn't ED, it's EA. You're not required to go but can't apply anywhere else early.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

wow now i read that your children already finished the college process. Then it just doesn't make any sense. You scorn her for inquiring about often and early, while YOU are posting AFTER your children finished their application process. Get a life or stop insulting people who're here for a reason.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:48 pm: Edit

"financial status does not matter because the admissions process is need blind"

that's actually false because most(if not all)schools that offer international help are NOT need blind to internationals. it WILL help you if you're applying as an international.

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

thanks!!!! rubenizm!!!!!!! you rock!!!
yes i am applying as an international since i am an international, i agree its a good thing im not going to apply for fin aid!!:) yay!!
and hey! thanks now i undertand more about the whole ED, EA AND RD thing! thanks again rubenizm!!!

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

but honestly i do see harvard as a far far far!! away chance of getting in since i keep seeing their acceptance rate!!! its crazy!!!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Wait, je ne comprends pas. You live in Mexico. Are you an american citizen? If not, chances are not fnatastic. This is not because of your credentials, they are most impressive. It just almost impossible for int'ls. Whats the deal? :)

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

french people are funny

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

"thanks!!!! rubenizm!!!!!!! you rock!!!"

indeed

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

im taking a french class this semester :) i love it!
yeas i am a mexican citizen and resident if thats how ur supposed to say it

rubenizm! you truly rock love ya you allways have my back! and i love your coments! lol!

By Neo (Neo) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Je amor francais :^)

Je no parle francais bien, pero je amor francais...

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Rubenizm, I am not French! I am the biggest mexican! Anyway, Uh-oh. Cornell00, then we have a problem. You are an International! Chances are lower, but I am still great at any rate :)

HELLO, dont you other posters realize this!?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

still, she is an international who's not asking for finaid. I may be wrong on this, but i'm pretty sure that helps her chances.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

My kids made all of their own decisions. I just shuffled the completed paperwork for them. Two are in med school, 2 in highly selective colleges, ones that you would want to go to according to your list. I tutor kids primarily from catholic schools that don't offer a alot of AP courses and have fallen into the role of helping some of them with their college aps (for free) simply because of the experience I have had. Your type is very familiar to me. I went to a highly selective college. I have read apps for a highly selective liberal arts school--bottom of the barrel work in an admissions office so I am familiar with the process from the insiders viewpoint but never had any authority nor was I ever privy to decision making. I have no intention of pretending to be anything I am not or knowing more than I do. I took guardianship of 5 children due to unfortunate family circumstances and have raised and am raising them as my own family--I have 4 other children. Most of our money has gone into education, and come from education.
I am trying to help you out and am not trying to insult you. There are people on these boards that are in the college process and by telegraphing your intentions and posting all over the place, they are not going to be too impressed. The world of selective college applications is really pretty small and I have seen a lot of coincidences, like kids thinking they are insulting someone anonymously and finding them on the other side of the desk.
So much can happen between now and when you apply. All your plans for SATs and SAT2s are for naught if you are not studying for them. Everyone plans to get a 1600. It's what you get that counts. When you have some real numbers, then you can get a more realistic read on your situation.
This site is helpful to me since I work with kids, make a living from kids who are aspiring to get into college. I post because I sometimes can give back with the info I know. I lurked for a long time before posting. Most of the kids who are on this site are incredibly talented, fascinating people that I would love to meet if I were an admissions officer. They have sold me on themselves online--never mind the stats. I just wish they could project that personality to their first choice schools somehow. Even the ones who are a bit obnoxious. Lots of moxy. But you are asking the same questions repeatedly with just little changes on different sites which is against the rules. You sound like a motivated student but you really are not helping your chances with what you are doing. I am at a time of my life when I can spend it on the internet and this site helps me work with kids who don't have the time to do this. They are too busy doing the activities to get into college. I have been incredibly successful with kids who were truly borderline for the schools they wanted--in fact that is about all I have worked with. The shoo-ins have much better resources than me. I am an excellent tutor,according to test scores. All my business is word of mouth, I have all the business I can take and I don't pick and choose. First come, first served. My kids had virtually no chance of doing what they did according to conventional wisdom and they did not take the direct path to their goals. I just tried to guide the way for them and do the administrative details. Perhaps with the next one,who is coming up soon , I'll take a more direct role since I now know much more than I did with the first 4. I am in my 50's and really am pretty happy with my life. My hardest knocks were taking in 5 kids at times when I did not feel I could, but since no one else would, I did. And have provided them with identical resources as our own children. Those were not easy times, I did not want to do it, but at this point we are all one family and actually now a happy one. It was not always the case.
So Rubenizm, that is why I am on this site. I have the time, I benefit from the info financially and personally, and sometimes I can help someone else on the site with stuff I know that is not readily available. I have never pretended to be anyone I am not like some people who have posted here

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

My kids made all of their own decisions. I just shuffled the completed paperwork for them. Two are in med school, 2 in highly selective colleges, ones that you would want to go to according to your list. I tutor kids primarily from catholic schools that don't offer a alot of AP courses and have fallen into the role of helping some of them with their college aps (for free) simply because of the experience I have had. Your type is very familiar to me. I went to a highly selective college. I have read apps for a highly selective liberal arts school--bottom of the barrel work in an admissions office so I am familiar with the process from the insiders viewpoint but never had any authority nor was I ever privy to decision making. I have no intention of pretending to be anything I am not or knowing more than I do. I took guardianship of 5 children due to unfortunate family circumstances and have raised and am raising them as my own family--I have 4 other children. Most of our money has gone into education, and come from education.
I am trying to help you out and am not trying to insult you. There are people on these boards that are in the college process and by telegraphing your intentions and posting all over the place, they are not going to be too impressed. The world of selective college applications is really pretty small and I have seen a lot of coincidences, like kids thinking they are insulting someone anonymously and finding them on the other side of the desk.
So much can happen between now and when you apply. All your plans for SATs and SAT2s are for naught if you are not studying for them. Everyone plans to get a 1600. It's what you get that counts. When you have some real numbers, then you can get a more realistic read on your situation.
This site is helpful to me since I work with kids, make a living from kids who are aspiring to get into college. I post because I sometimes can give back with the info I know. I lurked for a long time before posting. Most of the kids who are on this site are incredibly talented, fascinating people that I would love to meet if I were an admissions officer. They have sold me on themselves online--never mind the stats. I just wish they could project that personality to their first choice schools somehow. Even the ones who are a bit obnoxious. Lots of moxy. But you are asking the same questions repeatedly with just little changes on different sites which is against the rules. You sound like a motivated student but you really are not helping your chances with what you are doing. I am at a time of my life when I can spend it on the internet and this site helps me work with kids who don't have the time to do this. They are too busy doing the activities to get into college. I have been incredibly successful with kids who were truly borderline for the schools they wanted--in fact that is about all I have worked with. The shoo-ins have much better resources than me. I am an excellent tutor,according to test scores. All my business is word of mouth, I have all the business I can take and I don't pick and choose. First come, first served. My kids had virtually no chance of doing what they did according to conventional wisdom and they did not take the direct path to their goals. I just tried to guide the way for them and do the administrative details. Perhaps with the next one,who is coming up soon , I'll take a more direct role since I now know much more than I did with the first 4. I am in my 50's and really am pretty happy with my life. My hardest knocks were taking in 5 kids at times when I did not feel I could, but since no one else would, I did. And have provided them with identical resources as our own children. Those were not easy times, I did not want to do it, but at this point we are all one family and actually now a happy one. It was not always the case.
So Rubenizm, that is why I am on this site. I have the time, I benefit from the info financially and personally, and sometimes I can help someone else on the site with stuff I know that is not readily available. I have never pretended to be anyone I am not like some people who have posted here

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

hmm okay thanks jamimom , im sorry if somehow i insulted you or something , so acording to your experience which schools could i consider as safeties or matches with my current stat's and a lets say 1450 sat I and a 700+ on my 3 sat II

hey serdu i could tell you are mexican because of your last name is it escobedo? or something like it

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Yes it is!

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

cool
mine is Rodriguez Rodriguez

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

okay here is my new list so far
Reaches:
Harvard
Yale
Rice Univ
Cornell
Northwestern

Matches:
McGill Univ
Tufts
Baylor Univ
U Mich Ann Arbor

and im trying to decide between
changing
Yale and, or Northwestern for
Brown, Stanford or U Penn-wharton

what do you think?

And im trying to choose one or 2 safeties its between:

Trinity Univ
Michigan Satate Univ
Boston Univ
U Rochester

for a safetie any more suggestions good safeties for a pre-med or biology major???

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

why batlor? Apply to a decent non-religious school - rice, it's cheap and it's MUCH better than baylor where coaches conspire against players.

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

hehe yeah ive hard a lot about that
hmmi just need safeties!! any opinions?

By Cornell00 (Cornell00) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page