Chances for a not-so-bright Korean-American

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances for a not-so-bright Korean-American
By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 06:27 am: Edit

SAT: 720m 540v 1260c
SAT2: 720ic, 580physics, 550w
Average HS GPA: 3.33 Weighted
APs: Statistics(3), Calculus BC and Physics C currently enrolled.
Honors classes: Freshmen English, Advanced Algebra, Biology, Chemistry, Geometry, Pre-Calculus
4 Years of English
6? Years of Math (If Algebra in 8th Grade Counts)
4 Years of Mandarin Language
4 Years of Science (Bio, Chem, Physics, AP Physics)
Extra-Curriculars: Webdev (http://www.treeofwoe.net)
Track & Field (Made meet before CA state meet Jr Year in Triple Jump with 40'0.25", working out for vast increase in leg muscles)
Internet Challenge Team (For fun I guess?)
Soon to have 99 completed hours of Com. Service
Ethnicity: Korean-American (born here)

I'm not the genii like the other posters on this site, but I'm wondering what my chances for the following schools are as a Computer Engineering major.

UCBerkeley
UCLA
UCSanDiego
NYU (I got emails from their Track coach, but just asking if I was to be a Senior)
UMichigan
UKans (seeking financial aid if i go, heard they were generous)
UTexas-Austin
U Southern California
UWisconsin
UMinnesota-TwinCities

By Y17k (Y17k) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:24 am: Edit

you can easily get that verbal score up to 600+ with minimal studying (i.e. total about 25 hours)

then you'd have a GREAT chance at those schools

By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Anyone have an idea when the last day I can re-take the SAT I's is?

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Dude, take out the eye on your webpage.

3.3 weighted.. what is it unweighted?

If you mean 3.3 unweighted, you have a good shot at most of them.

By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Unweighted it's almost 3.1. Theres no explanation for it either - no big family deaths, my appendix bursted during sophomore year finals but I took them all during the summer. I'm just lazy, but I don't think they need to know that.

By Liljay (Liljay) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I'm from michigan and U of M would be a long shot. Even though you are an URM they admissions will look at your GPA, SAT, and SATII's and probably assume you never put an effort into school because your testing is so much better than your GPA. Sports could be a hook, but you never know what they are looking for. Also there's a place on the U of M app to tell admissions if you had a reason for not doing as well as hoped. So they will know :(

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

That eye needs to go.

As far as that GPA is concerned, I'd recommend thinking inside yourself as to why you weren't motivated to shoot for A's and such. Perhaps a fear of success? An overshadowing sibling? The stress of something that happened in your family?

Start thinking...the answer's got to be there.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

he's not a URM. He's korean.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

that website isn't working btw. I wouldn't be impressed by "Cannot Find Page" if i were a college admissions officer

I'm so funnny

By Donna1787 (Donna1787) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

all this talk about an eye made me curious. But your website isn't working. What's a URM? Do colleges care if you're Korean? I'm Korean too, and I'm not all that bright either. Go us

By Mical (Mical) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Gah! Close those BODY and HTML tags! Attributes that are numeric need to be in quotations!

Try to make your site W3 compliant.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

I say you're into KU no problem... might even want to look at the honors program. Everyone (exaggeration) here in my school (I go to sub-urban upper-middle class public school in kansas) will go to either University of Kansas or Kansas State, and you're stats for the most part are better than those people.

By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Stupid website hosting! I guess this is what I get with $10.49 a year hosting.

By Norcalstar (Norcalstar) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

You should really have more confidence... "not-so-bright"... comeon... you're taking AP classes and honors classes.

By Giraffe (Giraffe) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

It's just relative. What am I compared to these people who want to raise their 1550?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page