Where do YOU think I should go to College???................

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Where do YOU think I should go to College???................
By Kcg (Kcg) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Hi. Im a junior at a very rigorous high school in northern Cali. Im having trouble deciding where i should apply to next year, so I thought that you guys could help me out!
my stats:
HS GPA: 3.85 unweighted, 4.1 weighted(will go up-im taking like 4 AP's senior year)
SAT: n/a (aiming for a 1350ish)
SAT II's: gonna take them in french and math
AP exams: french, US hist., environmental science, english, and biology. (These are also the AP classes im am taking/will take)

I also took Honors chem. at a community college as well as philosophy and got an A in both.

EC's:
Jazz band-2 years
CMEA(a music festival thing)-6
Odyssey of the Mind-2(won regional, went to state)
Peer counseling-2
Peer tutoring-2
Basketball-2
JV golf-2
President of French club and irish student union-2
Around 200 CS hours at a soup kitchen and a hospital.

oh-and im white, so no minority.
(and expect that i'll do ED)

Thank you so much!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

It's impossible to make suggestions without knowing what you're interested in majoring in, whether you want a small or large or mid-sized school, whether you want to stay on the West coast or go somewhere east...etc.

However, if the UC's interest you, you'd probably have a good shot with all of your AP's as the UCs look at weighted GPAs.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

You should for sure apply to UCD

By Kcg (Kcg) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

I don't care about staying in-state, and I would like to major in psychology (PhD). Location and size don't matter.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:47 am: Edit

UC Berkeley, LA, San Diego

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

If you're interested in psychology, Santa Clara University in Calif. has an outstanding program - recognized as one of the top in the county. Claremont McKenna and Pitzer are also very good. Occidental and the University of Redlands also have decent programs.

The UC's school's above are also good for psych. Add UCSC and UCSB to the list however.

The University of Oregon has a good psych program.

Reed in Oregon is also good.

Farther afield - the University of Denver, Clark University, Connecticut College, GWU, NYU, U of Rochester, St. Olaf,Carleton, Tufts, Vassar would all be worth looking into.

By Calidan (Calidan) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

yeah... i think the UCs are a really good bet, especially because your in-state.

By Kcg (Kcg) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Kcg (Kcg) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

anyone else?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Go northern cali! I'm from Stockton. I'm going to University of Southern California (USC) and I love it!

By Kcg (Kcg) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

hey Uschicka-
I was just wondering what you High School stats were? what does it take to get into USC?
thanks!

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I had a 4.1 weighted gpa, and a 1290 SAT (which I was really mad about, and scared that it would hurt me because its way below USC's average- but I got in, and to Berkeley nonetheless...so if you're aiming for a 1350 you should have a pretty good chance of getting into USC). You don't really have ECs, though, where you continued for four years. Colleges like seeing commitment, so that may hurt you a little. I think that is what got me into colleges. Good luck, and I hope you consider USC! If you have any other questions feel free to ask me!!

By Kcg (Kcg) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Thanks a bunch! oh, when you said "but I got in, and to Berkeley nonetheless..." you mean that you got into UCB? wow! why did you choose USC over UCB?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Yep, UCB. I chose USC for many reasons:

1) I loved the feel of it
2) everyone was really friendly
3) there is such amazing spirit there...I wanted to go to a football game so badly!! and now that i go there and have gone to some games, USC football games must be the happiest, most fun place on earth- not Disneyland! I can't even explain the spirit and pride you see at games- everyone dressed up or painted in USC garb, cheering, singing the fight song with the band, doing the fight on sign- it's the best feeling in the world.
4) everyone there had so much pride in USC
5) great prestige and it's getting better and better
6) smart people, but they still know how to have fun- and there is a wealth of cute guys!! not that i chose USC because of that, of course :)
7) the "trojan family"- great alumni connections, great for jobs
8) everyone seems to love it there
9) I love big cities- hence LA
10) they had an advertising program
11) I received a great financial aid package

You see, lots of people want to go to a school based on just its prestige. I chose what felt right to me and what I wanted. Yes Berkeley is a higher nationally ranked school than USC, but USC is still an amazing school- both academically and socially- and most of all I loved it. I don't regret my decision for a minute!

By Kcg (Kcg) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

anyone else?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page