Yale ED chance and legacy ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Yale ED chance and legacy ?
By newhavenlocal on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I applied ED to Yale and wondered if I could get some feed back on my chances and the influence of and defenition of legacy.
Stats:
1450 SAT
Writing 710
Literature 760
Bio (EGH!) 680
AP's: Bio (5), Eng. (4), U.S. Hist. (4), Span Lang (4)
Now taking: Calc AB (AP), Span Lit. (AP)
all rest of courses are honors
Unweighted: 3.82 Weighted: 4.22
I am also living a few minutes away from Yale. Does that hurt me? Tons of people from my school apply. (A local boarding school)
EC's:
Interact president
Christian Fellowship president
tutoring program founder and president
and a bunch more usual stuff
Here's the real question:
Both my parents went to Yale grad. school and my mom got two degrees from the nursing school and management school and she worked at one of the schools. Does that matter at all in my decision?
Do I have a chance at accept? Deferral? Reject?
Thanks so much!

By Angry at my parents on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Actually, I'm not sure if grad school counts as legacy. If it does, you're super super super lucky. You're an average applicant without legacy, you're a shoe in if legacy counts

By X on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 06:43 am: Edit

newhavenlocal,

Keeping in mind the ridiculously high acceptance rates for legacy-applicants at most Ivy's, I think you have more than a great chance of being admitted. You might want to email the Yale admissions office for statistics on legacy applicants -- such statistics do exist and are available on request.

On an unrelated note.... I just gave the SAT II LIT test this morning and I'm sure I really messed it up. I wasn't sure of a SINGLE question on the test! I plan on retaking the test in January. What prep methods do you recommend? Is it possible to learn how to comprehend Literature in a little over a month? I'm very stressed out; a low Literature score will, without doubt, undermine my 790 SAT I verbal score. I hope you can give me some advice.

Thank you.

By newhavenlocal on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 08:50 am: Edit

Please don't worry about the Lit test!! I thought I failed it and I did exactly the same as my verbal score. I am certain that someone with your verbal capabilities did amazingly well. In addition, the lit tests is one of the ones with a lower national average (i.e. it's harder), therefore a low 700's score isn't bad AT ALL. In terms of prep, I just learned all the literary terms so I could recognize them. That seemed to work. In continuation of my question, do I have any chance without legacy status? Thanks.

By x on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:55 am: Edit

newhavenlocal,

Thanks for the encouraging post=) Well, I'm an international applicant, so I'm in no position to comment on your chances.

Three kids from my school have been admitted to Yale in the last few years. Here are thier stats, hope this helps.

1410(low math) Heavily in theatre, 700 Avg SAT II.
1430(low math) also heavily into theatre, 700 AVG SAT II

1490(790Math, 700V) recs, essay superb BEYOND belief, lots of EC's, nothing extraordinary. High SAT II's.

By kp on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 11:38 am: Edit

does anyone know what yale's official definition for legacy is anyway? I was wondering if siblings currently attending or siblings that have graduated counted.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page