Chances at Georgetown, Hopkins, Tufts, William and Mary, Col

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chances at Georgetown, Hopkins, Tufts, William and Mary, Col
By cracka on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Ok, I'm not exactly a stellar applicant, but here are my stats:

SAT: 760 V/650 M
SAT II: 640 writing, 640 math Ic, 800 us history

Unweighted GPA: 3.7, school doesn't rank

I've taken the absolutely toughest curriculum my school offers, although only AP US was available to me junior year. Right now I'm taking: AP English Lit, AP Latin, AP Euro, German 3, Calculus, one religion class (parochial school bullcrap)

Activities:
-4 years in Cross Country/Track, plan on running in college and have some above average times
-Community Service at a inner-city soup kitchen (70 hours)
-Was a Boy Scout, Star Rank and a patrol leader
-Marine Biology Club as a freshman
-Political Science Club as a sophmore

Honors/Awards:
-National Honor Society
-Principal's Honor Roll, General Excellence in All Subjects all 3 years
-Most Improved Player for Cross Country/Track Freshman year, Athletic Achievement Award for Senior year

OK there's all that stuff, which isn't too good but here's my question. I have a 3 hour commute round trip each day to school, which has prevented me from doing anything more than track really. do you think this will be taken into consideration by the schools I'm applying to? Thanks for any responses!

ps- oh yeah i'm a cracka

By Big Ole Baller on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 08:54 pm: Edit

I'd say you're not looking to great, to be honest. Your SATs are just below the median, and you have no stellar extra-currics or "hooks" to make up for that. Oh... and putting stuff like this might actually hurt you:

-Marine Biology Club as a freshman
-Political Science Club as a sophmore

You really think being in two completely different clubs for one year each demonstrates dedication and focus? It shows that you have no developed interests and don't stick with things

By CALIFORNIA MONKEY on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

no chance whatsoever at johns hopkins (well, maybe 0.1 - 0.2%), that's all I have to say

By Right on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

A 1410 puts you in the range for all of them, and the high end of Georgetown. Make sure you show everything else solidly and you'll have a shot at any of the schools you've listed. I wouldn't guarantee getting into all of them because admissions can be very unpredictable at these prestigious schools, but you have a great chance.

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Right is way too optimistic, and CA Monkey is way too pessimistic.

Check out the scattergram plots. You've got maybe a 50/50 chance at Georgetown, depending upon how they perceive a 3.7 from your school.

Whereas most applicants with a better than 1400 and corresponding GPA make it into Johns Hopkins.

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:12 pm: Edit

BTW, William and Mary, I would call quite unlikely.

By Cmon now kids, go to bed on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 05:27 am: Edit

But William and Mary is less selective than GTown

By humpty dumpty on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:00 pm: Edit

William and Mary is a Virginia public school that limits out-of-state enrollment to 35% of the applicants.

The across the board numbers between Georgetown and William and Mary are pretty close to the same, but if you're applying out of state, your scores need to be way higher.

Perhaps the applicant is from Virginia, but I was guessing not.

By humpty dumpty on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:03 pm: Edit

PS Sill, I think I may have been to pessimistic about getting into William and Mary, but I was comparing his scores to the scattergram data which did make it highly unlikely.

I would think that odds are closer to 50/50, but then whatever I say means absolutely nothing since I'm not an admissions officer.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page