An Average Person's Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: An Average Person's Chances
By Bear363 (Bear363) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Wow! I have been looking at some of the profiles listed here for people and I must say that I am impressed! I have never seen so many devoted people! Anyway, compared to all of you, my stats are very bad, but I was wondering if you could give me an honest reply about my chances at UC Berkeley, UCLA, NYU and Pomona. I am currently a senior in highschool. Here is my profile.

GPA: 3.58 (Should be 3.61 when college classes end early December)

SAT: 560 Math
600 Verbal (never did well with tests)

Senior year classes:

Pre-calculus
AP Gov
Spanish 3
Physics
English 202 (Community College)

Next quarter at Community College:

History 232 Middle Eastern Foreign Policy

English: 4 credits (2 college courses)
Math: 4 credits, regular math schedule
History: 6 credits (3 college courses)
Science: 4 credits (1 college course in chemistry)
I also took an Astronomy course at the community college. Is that an academic elective?
Spanish: 3 credits

10 Community College classes
1 AP Class
Credits are based on semester grading system (.5 credit per semester)

ECs

120 hours of community service

Built house and helped community in Mexicali, Mexico

Progressive church school teacher/class leader

20 hours of community service/research with gay community project

Own my own prop modeling business

I am starting a debate team at my school

ECS Essay winner 2000

Poem succesfully published in anthology series

Thanks and I hope to get some feedback on my chances. I want to major in Poly Sci or Business.

I also have a couple questions regarding the admission process. Can I send my college grades that come in at the begining of December to the Universities and have them incorporate those grades into my GPA? Will they incorporate my first semester high school classes which end the end of January into my GPA as well? Also, I am going to be taking my SAT IIs on the December 6th date. Is that too late? Or can I send them into the Universities when I get my scores around the middle-end of December? Can I take three SAT IIs the same day? Or would that be too much??? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:08 am: Edit

Yes, You can send them your college transcript. However; these are rarely calculated in the high school GPA. Colleges will ask for a "mid-school" year report, but they won't send incorporate them in to the ACTUAL transcript that you send to the colleges. They are cumulative only until the 2nd semester of 11th grade. December SAT II is just fine, except for any schools to which you might apply EA or ED, it doesn't seem like you are. My only suggestion is that you re-take the SAT. It is pretty low for the schools you listed. As a horrific test-taker myself, I am just studying! I went from a 510 V in Jan. to (unofficially) a 670 (in practice tests). You CAN take up to 3 SAT II's in one sitting. But it really depends on you, are you going to be able to concentrate on each ? You sounds like you live in California. Mexicali is 2 hours away from San Diego (Where I live). Do you?

By Polly (Polly) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

I think you are a way above an "average person".
Good luck!

By Bear363 (Bear363) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

Serdu,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. I wish I did live in California! My chances would be a lot greater. I live in Seattle, WA. Until I came to this board, I thought that it would be an advantage living out of state because of diversity reasons. I guessed wrong! Too bad! I love the San diego area though! I have been down there many times. Also, do you know anything about Pomona's selectivity? I would really like to go there. I will take your advice and re-take the SATs. However, it will probably not be until November. If I take them in November and send them my scores by late November-December, will they still look at my updated SATI scores or will they only consider the one I initially sent them? Thanks again!

P.S. Are community college courses figured into the weighted GPA and given an extra point, just as honors/AP classes? I forgot to mention that I also have taken three honors courses.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:16 am: Edit

For some reason, if you're out of state, chances of getting in to UCB/UCLA are SIGNIFICANTLY less

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page