Yale Early Action Applicant

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Yale Early Action Applicant
By Nealp (Nealp) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

what kind of chances do i have at yale early action??? also, what do i do if i sent an applicaiton with an error on it? should i send a correction or call them? (i didn't date somwhere where i signed)... International Baccalaurate (IB)

NUMBERS:
4.0 uw IB gpa
1490 sat (73 v, 76 m) {NOT RETAKING!}
223 psat
35 act (35,35,35,34)
790,780,760 (mathiic, chem, writing) not retaking!
ap us4, ap ab 5, ap psych 5.
ib sl chem 6, ib sl psych 7
btw, 7th in kansas on national spanish exam level 3.

CIRRIC: senior year courses:
hl bio, hl chem, hl calc ap bc, hl english, sl spanish 4, pib physics, jazz band (3 science classes! yeah!)
ECS:
RESEARCH at hospital (dr. was very impressed, seemed to be atleast, said he would write recs (should i ask? for yale ea?)) - 2X assosciate investigator (and 3X coauthor on abstracts - not first though) presented at Kansas University Medical School Annual Research Forum as poster presentations

pres of eco : east conservation organization (environmental club with approx 30 members) we recycled 40,000 cans/bottles in 2 years

pres of interact

about 400 hrs at hospital volunteer

university job in survey lab as research tech

scholar bowl (jv, v, v w/ letter)

couple of week long seminars, one week long science camp

webmaster since 8th grade till summer b4 senior year for .org site

Other Interests:
Literature, writing poetry (unestablished)

i think my g.c. will write good recs b/c she chose me out of all the other kids for a nomination for wash u danforth scholars...

suxor: no sports

thanks!
(i'm asian but didn't check the box but its a give away w/ last name and other language spoken in home...)

woohee so stressed i'm flippant!

By Nealp (Nealp) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

please, somebody tell me about my chances. btw location = kansas. yale rep said 2003 acceptance rt. for ks = 18%, nationally = 11.3%. so, ks = adv. thanks

By Nealp (Nealp) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

please, please, somebody post today so i can use my time filling out applications instead of checking this board!

By We_The_Ppl_Fire (We_The_Ppl_Fire) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

I think you seem like a very strong candidate. What stands out about you is your advanced research/internships. Academic-wise you are fine; your ec's look fantastic too. Are you going to be valedictorian? If you are, it is an indication of higher acceptance chance. Your essay should also be very good; incorporate your passions w/your aspiration in college.

As for your error, I would prolly call/e-mail admin office and ask them what you should do. Asking ppl online is not a 100% guarantee, and since your acceptance is at risk, you should contact Yale and make a personally inquiry. Otherwise I think you're set...good luck, Nealp!

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

yeahhhh i admire u for not retaking your SAT's! some people would do it just to see the 15 as the first two digits. dont waste your $25. you have a good chance...but one can never tell. i guess we shall have to see how Yale EA goes this year?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Oh Nealp,excellent chances! I envy your numbers.Excellent (really superb) EC's and great academics. I would be surprised if you didn't get in.Will you evaluate me at "Harvard for a hispanic?"

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Yale EA is ridiculous this year

By Nealp (Nealp) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

why do you say that alimshk? thanks (the rest of you) for your support/opinions!

although the 25 dollars is important, what bugs me more about the sat is how long it is.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

a few more suggestions would be nice...thanks.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

also, yale app has two essays. i will surely write one about my research experience (should it be an objective da.da.da. explanation of my experience with hints of how excited i was to have the oppurtunity ...or... should i make it creative?). my other essay is about a bag i have( i wrote an essay about my bag, which says a lot about my personality b/c i always have it with me...it includes a para. about the contents to show that i'm not indian/math/science etc).

question: should i get a xtra rec from the doc who I worked with for research (he really, really liked me)?

question: would it be more impressive to read an essay about how i was environmentally inspired by the cafeteria lady in elementary school and have continued that interest through my club (recycle club) ...or... an essay about the research (see 1st para).

thanks for following my messy "paragraphs" and thanks for your advice too! (if you look at exclamation marks in books printed say 40+ years ago, they look really cool)

By Anduin (Anduin) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

You might have a better chance of getting into Yale EA if you LEARNED TO SPELL! It's sux0r, not suxor.

Your scores are great and your EC's are quite good as well. You have as much of a shot as anybody else, but this is Yale we're talking about, so nothing's guaranteed one way or the other. The Midwest and the Plains are typically underrepresented, so your location will work in your favor a little bit.

If the doctor got to know you well enough to write a strong recommendation, then go for it, as long as it isn't your 4th or 5th rec.

Creativity is a better idea than an unengaging description. However you decide to do your essay, make sure that it fully shows your passion for your research.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Anduin, if you wanted you could go through my entire post you could probably find it full of errors! But that doesn't matter. i don't capitalize much either...

it would be my only non required rec.

any more ideas on the essay question? thanks.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

bump

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Hmm... I remember you posting this same thing last month or so but anyways...

Read your stats. You seem like a smart person so read your stats up and down and tell me what YOU think your chances are. Some things are blatantly obvious.

Btw, you seem like a person who would beat themselves up if they didn't get into Yale. Take it easy. If you don't get in, you don't get in. Just do what you do well and keep it up.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

no hell no. i'd love to get in but truly its my 1.5 choice. i have a lot of first choices...but i'm asking about MY ESSAY which shold i write about (see above post)

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

You've got a shot.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

question: would it be more impressive to read an essay about how i was environmentally inspired by the cafeteria lady in elementary school and have continued that interest through my club (recycle club) ...or... an essay about the research i did at a hospital and will be presented and medical school research forum?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

You suck Anduin. It's s0x0r.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

You suck Anduin (not really, I just like saying that). It's s0x0r.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Accidently posted 2 messages. s0x0r

By Agamemnon314 (Agamemnon314) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Alimshk, what do you mean by "Yale EA is ridiculous this year"?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

I mean there is a ton of really strong applicants applying to Yale EA this year from what I've heard and from people applying at my school. But Nealp has a great chance, especially with his medical research.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

I thought that without an IB history course one can't get the IB Diploma. How is it that you can get away with it?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page