Dartmouth ED?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Dartmouth ED?
By Malfurion21 (Malfurion21) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I plan to apply to Dartmouth ED, and I'm wondering what my chances are. I am a senior from Connecticut.

Scores/Academics:
SAT I: 720/720
SAT Math IIC: 710
SAT U.S. History 760
SAT Writing 750
AP Spanish Language 4
AP U.S. History 4

unweighted GPA: 3.92 (our school uses a QPA system instead of a weighted GPA, and most people are not familiar with the QPA scale)

Courses: At least 5 academic courses per semester, at the highest possible level--Honors and AP (AP courses are only offered to seniors, with the exception of U.S. History and Spanish Language)

ECs:
-Swimming (winter for school, summer and fall for training and regional competition)
-News editor for school newspaper
-Spanish Honor Society
-National Honor Society
-Church group/Altar Server
-Subtropical Environments Bermuda (marine biology course during winter vacation)

Volunteer work/employment
-Lifeguard during summer
-Volunteer work at local hospital
-Research with local radiologist on digitalization of radiology data
-Volunteer at local tennis tournament (over 200 hours total over several years)
-Participant in Swim Across the Sound (a benefit for cancer research, where I had to raise $5000 with 4 others and race 17 miles in open water)

I probably left out a few details, but everything important is listed above. A friend of mine with a lower GPA, similar test scores, but more ECs was accepted ED to Dartmouth last year.

So, what do you all think my chances are?

By Malfurion21 (Malfurion21) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

I forgot something big! I play the alto saxophone for the symphonic wind ensemble at my school.

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Pretty good chances. Excellent academics, average ECs. Nothing stands out, but I say you have a pretty good chance.

By Malfurion21 (Malfurion21) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Thanks Alimshk.

Can anyone else offer their opinion? Thank you!

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

your gonna get in, all these people saying you dont stand out, of course you do, your different from everyone else, plus, my friend got into dartmouth with no major ec, a 1390 SAT and in the top 5% There are lots of people with those marks, only thing he had was baseball, and he wasnt recruited, u have sax, so u should be able to get in. It is a toss up though, sometimes just not enough space. Good Luck though

By Malfurion21 (Malfurion21) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Thanks Jnorsky18!

I did notice a lot of negative feedback on other posts, but I just took it as brutal honesty, which I see as very helpful.

By Malfurion21 (Malfurion21) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Anyone else have some input? Thank you.

By Ouija (Ouija) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Dartmouth cares more about academics than ecs, and your ecs are good enough for it not to be negative. Your sat scores are average or above average for dartmouth. I would say you have a pretty good shot! but who knows what could happen....
good luck!

By Malfurion21 (Malfurion21) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Alright, well I've decided to apply ED to Dartmouth. Can anyone add a suggestion or another analysis of my chances?

Thank you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page