International student's chances for FULL merit-based scholar

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: International student's chances for FULL merit-based scholar
By Redhot (Redhot) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Hey,everybody!I'm from Bulgaria 12th grade to be.
My scores are: TOEFL CBT ->287
SAT I(Verbal) ->670
(Math) ->760 total 1430
SATII Writing ->680
Math IIC->770
Physics and Writing to be taken..
ECs: Speak russian fluently,3-rd place in city's Russian Contest,1st in a History Contest,Member of the Bulgarian Red Cross,Member of the school's maths team,practise soccer and fitness(4 years),play electric guitar 2 years.
Sorry not a lot to do here..:(
Lots of ECs with women by the way :)

My college list includes:
American Un(DC);Brandeis Un.;Brown Un.;Carleton Col.;Colby Col.;Colgate Col.;Connecticut Col.;Davidson Col.;Denison Un.;Drexel Un.;Duke Un.;Franklin&Marshal Col.;Hamilton Col.;Haverford Col.;Lafayette Col.;Lehigh Un.;Macalester Col.;Occidental Col.;Reed Col.;Trinity Col.(CT);Un. of the South

I'll be grateful to anyone to evaluate my chances for at least 70% scholarship at any of those universities.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

70%? You will barely get anything. Your scores aren't outstanding and you're international. From what little i know about finaid your chances to get 70% are very slim.

By Polly (Polly) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

hmm... Your scores are much better than that of mine. ;(
I'm also an international student and have been in the U.S. for two years, but I haven't got that high score.
If you have some outstanding achievement other than school work, you may get in a good school, I believe...

By Ria (Ria) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

Why is he an underrepresented minority?

Anyway, there is very little aid available for international students, especially merit-based. Are you sure they offer marit-based scholarships at all? :)

By Redhot (Redhot) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Guys thank you for all your statements.Rubenizm I bet you were talking about the Ivy League and some of mine like Duke,Brown,Carleton since your knowledge seems inadequate about the less prestigious universities so no offence dude.I have a friend with SAT(1380) and no other SATs or ECs who got the max scholarship in SUNY Brockport.Drexel accepts with FULL scholarship int.students with SAT(1440).That's what I know.So if anyone wants to share such stuff please e-mail me at rockdj_bg@usa.com ..
Ken thanks for your optimism,you're a real pal!
Polly can you send me please an e-mail where you study and how you feel there.Thanks in advance!

PS If you don't know anything for certain about int. students please don't mix me up :)

By Redhot (Redhot) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

bump ..bang or whatever

By Redhot (Redhot) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Guys thanks again for the counseling.Please don't fight between each other since there's no point in critics especially in such an anonymous forum.We're all struggling for the same thing after all..to have a good life and prove o's skills.Please if you have time take a look at the Subtopic: Early Decision - can this screw me?
And I want to make something clear.I really insist on having a full scholarship.That's why prestige is not that important to me if I don't get the money.By the way I am white and cannot be considered minority :(( Anyway can get some suntan if this helps :)

By Sostressedout (Sostressedout) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

so im confused the only way ur a different ethnicity is if ur not white? that really sucks, so not fair, just bc were white (and im still confused as to if i am) doesnt mean wer all the same..

By Redhot (Redhot) on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Thank you guys for your help.Obviously you have the wits and energy needed to discus mind superiority,too bad no one has the knowledge to give me a reasonable hint.Perhaps I got into the wrong forum,so I'm outa here.Good luck to everybody!
PS Sostressedout,yeah dude we finally came to the evolutional period when being white is no longer practical :(

By Dkm (Dkm) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

dude suny sucks....most ppl here think u wanna scolarship in a top notch uni. if u go for lower skools then u can surley get a free ride..but for a ivy its basically impossible

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page