Indian (u.s. born) - will this increase chances to ivy leagu

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Indian (u.s. born) - will this increase chances to ivy leagu
By ngowdar on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:54 pm: Edit

My parents are from India, but i was born here.
I have a 1350 Sat (700M/650V)
4.00 GPA
No ranking system, but i'd say 1/95 (yes i only have 95 ppl in my 11th grade)
All AP's available i'm takin 'em.

EC's: Tennis, Academic Team, Science Olympaid, regular volunteer at hospital.
During summer of '01 I got accepted into Duke Talent Identification program and took a 3wk intensive course in Chemistry.
Summer of 'O2 I was accepted into a similar 3 week program at northwestern except i took a course in genetics.

I volunteered at the senior citizens center to help seniors out with computers.

I was just now accepted into the National Youth LEadership Forum on Technology to be held in San Jose 2003. ONly 1000 kids are picked nationally (that better be good :)

Im only a junior, i have some time to increase sat score, and i still havent taken satII's.
What do u guys think my chances are at Duke, MIT, UPenn, Johns hopkins, etc?

I'm also from a small high school in a very small poor town in Southeastern KY. Dont know if that increases or decreases chances. Thanx alot guys.

By the way someone pleez leave some feedback :)

By bumperthumper on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 02:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Liz on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Actually, since Indians are classified as Asians, and asians are over-represented at the top colleges, your Indian heritage wont help you - but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The whole "geographical diversity" thing will probably cancel that out - Kentucky, right? Well, anyway, this is really just my guess.

By NSLC kicks NYLF ass on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Not to burst your bubble, but the National Youth Leadership Forum ain't so hot. It's a cool thing to do, and colleges appreciate that, but it's not that selective. I went to the National Student Leadership Conference, and it's pretty much the same thing. You get something in the mail if your PSAT scores are high enough, and they make it seem as if you've been hand selected. More than one thousand people are invited, believe me.

By bengali bad boy on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:44 pm: Edit

I'm not indian, but Bangladeshi. Technically, it is an underrepresented minority, but still goes under Asian-American. If she won't be considered a minority, will it be the same for me?

hehe, tennis.
hehe, kentucky.

By VP on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:05 pm: Edit

ok this is just my curiousity buggin me..
gals from india/asia r pretty rare... would that make a difference?

By xyz on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

ngowdar: you need to raise the SAT to about 1540 minimum to stand a good chance at MIT or Upenn.
Asians are overrepresented at MIT, and there are enough at Upenn too, so it's not like your ethinicity is going to be a great advantage there. It might help for Duke or JHU.

VP: girls of Indian/Asian origin are not rare, so...

but yes, girls straight from India are rare, but i don't think the colleges really care whether you're male or female in these cases.

By vp on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 05:03 am: Edit

thanx...
im an indian gal
1470 SAT
2380 in sat 2.... umm...got 780 on the writing, chem and math 2c are 800
all sats only 1 attempt if that makes any diff
president of student council
president of interact
trained/solo concerts of 1-2 hrs each in indian classical dance with newspaper reviews and stuff
indian classical vocal, trained but nto really accomplished
A capella group of my school, one of 4 members, have won inter-school competitions and stuff and performed loads of times
thatz the jist of it, i have lil thigns here and there otherwise. wadya guys think? Im tryin for princeton and cornell out of the ivies and if i have time will try for one more. Ive applied to UC Berkeley and San Diego. Apart from that ive applied to Rice interim and also Uiuc. do tell me, what do u think?
sorry for multiple posts.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page