Emory ED

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Emory ED
By Kurukshetra (Kurukshetra) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

GPA: 3.75 (UW)/ 4.3 (W) - 2 Bs first semester of freshman year, straight As second semester, 3 Bs first semester of sophomore year, 4 Bs second semester of sophmore year, straight As both semesters of junior year
APs: 6 so far, with 4 scores of "5" and 2 scores of "4."
SAT: 1400 (V: 740, M: 760)
SAT II Total: 2140
ECs: Academic Decathlon Member (9 - Present)
Chess Club Member (9 - Present)
Involved in 7 theatrical productions ( 9 -
Treasurer for Thespian Club (11 - Present) - Ranked statwewide
Treasurer for Computer Club (10 - Present)
Founder and President of JSA (11 - Present)

Volunteer Work: Started comedy troupe that traveled to many Southern California rest homes and performed comedy routines and various other types of skits.
Did several reading sessions at local children's bookstore. public library, and at preschools. At least 500 hours of service.

I am interested in either going pre-med and eventually becomind a psychiatrist, or majoring in economics (or perhaps some business-related field in goizueta) and earning my MBA.

I don't know how good of a chance I have at Emory ED. Could anyone suggest any reach/match/safety schools along with my chances at getting accepted to Emory Early Decision? Thank you, in advance.

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

For Emory, ED acceptance rate is 61%. Your SAT is about average, but slightly above; good GPA, SAT IIs. Your strong suit is all the EC/volunteer work. I think that based on their ED accpetance rate and your stats, your chances are definately better than 50/50...and probably closer to 75/25 (but I don't know how reliable a source I am).

About reach/match/safety, I'm going to assume that the type of campus setting you prefer is suburban (like Emory). Does south matter? Assuming it doesn't:

Reaches:
Duke
Hopkins
Cornell

Matches:
Vanderbilt
Tulane
Chapel Hill--which state are you from?
UVa--again, state?

Safeties:
U of Richmond
Babson (if you want business)

Please evaluate my chances for admission to Tufts at "Tufts Ed." Thank you in advance.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page