Chance at any of the Ivys!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: December 2002 Archive: Chance at any of the Ivys!!
By Lilly on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:11 am: Edit

Hi--

I am a senior female attending a public school. I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into any of the Ivys, MIT, Northwestern, Georgetown, and JHU. Thanks!

SAT I: 1490 (Math: 780, Verbal: 710)

SAT II: Chemistry: 770
Math 1C: 750
Math IIC: 730
Writing: 770
Biology: 760

APs: Biology: 5
Calculus AB: 3

Currently Taking: AP Chemistry
AP Spanish
AP English
AP Statistics
AP American History

No School Ranking, but top 10%
National Merit Commended Student
National Honor Society (on exec board)
French Honor Society
National Honor Roll
Commended by Who's Who Among American High School Students

Varsity Field Hockey Player for 4 years: numerous all-conference and all-county honors, on the US Olympic Developmental team (U16 and U19), Most Offensive Player Award, Most Improved Award, contacted by MIT and Yale coaches (MIT showed lots of interest, Yale interested, but not as much as MIT coach)

Yearbook Editor for 4 years

Model UN for 2 years, won Best Delegate Award at Georgetown Model UN

Won numerous piano awards from Royal Schools of Music, won Piano Teacher's Society of America Award

Member of a college philharmonic orchestra for two years, participant of the Midwest Orchestra Clinic in Chicago

Key Club 3 years
Spanish Club 3 years
Biology Team 2 years

Volunteered at local hospital for 3 years
Volunteered at a homeless shelter for 3 years
Worked at doctor's office for 3 years

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

By Lilly on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:21 am: Edit

Also, I'll be a first generation college student; neither of my parents went to college. Thank you.

By hoyasaxa on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:26 am: Edit

Did you apply EA to GT?

By Lilly on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:39 am: Edit

no, i actually applied early decision to yale and early action to mit.

By Lilly on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:28 pm: Edit

anyone who has an opinion (even if it's pessimistic) please post...I'm really trying to find out if I should apply for more safety schools(besides Tufts and NYU. Thanks so much.

By _____ on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 05:07 pm: Edit

GPA?

By asasasa on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 05:08 pm: Edit

if you get on the recruiting list high u are set, bottom line, i am not sure why u would want MIT though, u just don't sound like their type.
any why an ivy league school?

By MIT Mom on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

asasasa -- wad'ya mean -- "I am not sure why u would want MIT...u just don't sound like their type."

I disagree with this statement. Lilly, I will elaborate on why I disagree if you would like.

By humpty dumpty on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Without a GPA or class ranking it's hard to guess. You say top 10%, but for some of the Ivy's you need more like top 1%.

Your EC's are terrific.

Your SAT's are excellent though not quite amazing. Still, they put you in the top 1%. For math, you in the top quarter of 1%.

Check out the scattergrams.

You are a shoo in for Northwestern. None of the scattergram applicants above 1490 were rejected.

Almost equally likely is Johns Hopkins.

Georgetown if you have the GPA that accompanies a 1490 SAT, I think you've got like a 95% chance.

Your a female applying to MIT with an excellent math score, and they want you as an athlete. Again, I give you 95% chance.

Harvard, Princeton, Yale, I've concluded don't actually admit students, so it's anybody's guess. Overall, I bet you get into about 4 of the Ivy's.

Please let us know how things turn out, and what you decide to do. I think MIT would be a superb place for you based on what you've written....

By Lilly on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Thanks! I've actually spoken to the MIT coach and she wrote me a letter of recommendation to the admissions office, so hopefully, that'll help a little. My gpa is about a 4.1. Also, asasasa, i am planning to go into biomedical engineering, so MIT is definitely one of my top choices.

By Lilly on Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:33 pm: Edit

anyone? i really need some input, since i need to get all of my applications in by this week to my school, and i need to know whether or not i should apply to more safety schools. thanks!

By Dadster on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Lilly, one safety school should be sufficient, or two at most. Note that the definition of a safety school is one to which you are essentially assured admission. Students of your caliber often use their flagship state school as a safety (a financial safety, usually, too) or a private school in which they fit the top end of the statistical profile.

Having said that, you stand a great chance at MIT, IMO, if the coach is really going to bat for you - you'll fill an athletic spot with no negative impact on MIT's stats. These things are still unpredictable, though - coaches are limited in the number of students they can flag as their primary choices, and even then admission isn't assured if the adcom finds fault with some part of your package. Good luck!

By Lilly on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:31 pm: Edit

thanks dadster!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page