My chances at UChicago early action?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: My chances at UChicago early action?
By Addiena (Addiena) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Hi. I'm a Hispanic female from the Rio Grande Valley, Texas. I am a senior at the Science Academy of South Texas, and I am genuinely wavering as to whether or not I have a chance at the University of Chicago's early action program. My father is a fisherman, and my mother is unemployed, so cost will also be a major concern. Help will be appreciated, as well as a genuine assessment of my chances at the University of Chicago and elsewhere (Thinking UPenn, Colubmia, JHU, NYU, Eugene Lang, Emerson, UT Austin) !
Stats-
SAT- 1450 (800 Verbal, 650 Math)
SAT II- Writing 780. Biology 690 (Retake) Math IC 650 (Retake)
AP Exams- 5 English Lang, 5 English Lit, 5 Psychology, 4 U.S. History
My GPA is approximately 3.73, I estimate that I will graduate in the top 15% of my class (possibly top ten).
My courseload this year:
Calculus AP
Biology AP
English 4 AP
Government/Economics AP
Engineering Development and Design (through Rochester Institute of Technology)
Independent Study- English (creative writing project)
Architectural Graphics
Physical Education/Yearbook

My Hispanic background comes from having a Cuban father, during the summers, I have travelled to Brazil (where that side of the family lives now.) I have attended the Rice University Summer Symposium, the University of Texas Honors Colloquium, and the Texas A&M Gifted and Talented Program. As far as awards go, I am a Eastman/Kodak Young Scholar, and have received various awards in University Interscholastic League Competition.
EC's-
University Interscholastic League
Robotics Club (Team Captain, Secretary)
National Honor Society
Volunteer, kindergarten aide (one summer)
Volunteer, local church (one semester)
Work Experience- two summers of full-time babysitting for the same family. About 32/hrs per week.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

you're probably in, because you're hispanic, you have high scores, great AP's. The only bad thing is your rank. Also cost won't differ a lot at the schools on your list as all are 35k+. You'll get tons of finaid though.

By Theuofcgirl (Theuofcgirl) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

I would say that you have a very good chance. The key to the U of C application, as you've probably been told, is the essay though. So, assuming the essay sparkles, you're good to go in my book.

As for the price tag issue, I completely understand. My mother is self-employed, shakily self-employed and my father.. well.. he won't pay for college. So, I was looking for a financial aid package that I could deal with. The U of C really is good with financial aid; if something about your situation changes or you feel that you really can't pay the amount they want you to pay, you can always civilly talk to them about it and they will undoubtedly see what they can do. For me, student loans were the way to go - I couldn't burden my mother with the (even though it was small) cost of my attending the U of C, so I decided that it was important enough to me and that I could do it myself. Best of luck to you! I hope to see you at the U of C next fall! Feel free to ask me any U of C related questions you have on the board or in email!

Nancy

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page