I totally screwed up, what are my chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: I totally screwed up, what are my chances?
By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

my freshman year was sorta ok.
i had
english - a-
algebra - a-
spanish 2 - a-
conceptual physics - a+
world history- a+
physical education - c+(always forgot my gym clothes and the teacher didn't like me)

on my sophmore year, i totally screwed up because i took courses that were much high for someone in 10th grade in my school (northeast high school magnet philly, pa)
i got
english rapid - a+
algebra 2 rapid - b-
geometry rapid - b+
spanish 3 rapid - c+
chemistry - b+
biology - b-

and i didn't take sat yet and coming up year i'm taking ap chemistry, physics and in twelfth i'm taking ap physics and ap bio and ap calculus. also, ap english. as of yet, my extra curricular activities arent high. i have been in chess club and did commuity service in church and library, but gonna do much more e.c. in the coming up year.
if i take psat and score good, and score good on sats, sat2s, ap tests and get good grades from now on, are there any chances i can get accepted into i.v. league colleges?
preferrable upenn.
would wanna go to mit but i think chances are really slim or even none

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

reply someone. i really need to know this

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

isn;t anyone at all able to answer my one simple question?

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

it's Ivy and not I.V. And don't be a prestige-whore. Pick a school, noone's gonna evaluate your chances on all ivy league schools. I refuse to evaluate your chances to ivy league schools. Name one.

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

ok, this really sux

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

ok, what about u-penn

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

and btw, i really wanna go to mit but i know most probably i wont be able to make it.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

You can get it but it'll be really really tough. The PSAT doesn't really matter unless you become a finalist. I'm from MD, we have 222, but i think PA has really high also. If you get aboce that cutoff, it'll help. But you need really good grades, preferably all A's and 1400+ sat to stand a decent chance with your 10th grade

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

but still, there is no hope for mit right?

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:59 am: Edit

thanx rubenizm

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:45 am: Edit

c'mon on people, noone else?

By Magenta (Magenta) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 09:50 am: Edit

Honestly, I think the shot at MIT is a very large stretch.

The stats for the class entering in 1998 from http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/tt/1998/aug26/orient.html:

The 1,050 freshmen include 41 who had perfect scores of 1,600 in the SATs (mean scores for the class were 706 verbal, 762 math), and 223 valedictorians. Forty-three percent are women and 17 percent are members of underrepresented minority groups
The classes have only gotten more impressive each year, I believe. For example, according to http://www-tech.mit.edu/V118/N15/dadmit.15n.html
they were up to 127 perfect SAT students in the class entering in 2002. 42 percent of those whose high-schools rank them were valedictorians, and 90 percent were in the top five percent of their class. The mean verbal SAT score of an admitted student was 719 and the mean math score was 756 (so there, the verbal mean went up while the math mean oddly went down a tad).

I wish I could find the website I read a year ago about how many were international award winners in some area (or multiple areas) had 800 on all their SAT IIs, were Intel STS finalists, etc. as trust me, it would not be encouraging to you, hate to say. The students who get into MIT are shiners from the get go, not typically the kind who just show improvement during the years.

Now there might be exceptions, I grant. I would never say anyone's chances are zero.

By Quakerboy2 (Quakerboy2) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:54 am: Edit

Don't believe all the hype about MIT. Yes, it's ridiculously hard to get into, but you don't need straight As AND 1600 AND awesome extracurriculars. I'm at MIT now (UPenn was my second choice), and I never had straight As. If you do well on your SATs and write a good essay, as well as have a good interview, you'll still stand a shot at MIT. Just concentrate on what you still can change, and you'll do just fine. Junior and senior years are the most important, so don't worry about that sophmore year.

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

quaker, thanx for the info

By Magenta (Magenta) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Quakerboy2, I wasn't saying someone needed straight A's AND 1600 AND awesome extracurriculars to get into MIT, but one DOES need SOMETHING and what I am looking at with the OP here is no SAT scores yet, nothing close to straight A's, and in the OP's own words "my extra curricular activities arent high"...yes, he can get straight A's his next to years, but his GPA still won't be close to what MIT considers impressive for a GPA, and he can get good SAT scores but unless they are something in the upper 1500's or 1600, they aren't going to offset the GPA, and admissions people are onto people who just load up on ECs in the last two years as doing so to get into college rather than due to real passion. I've posted to a number of people on this board to shoot for MIT despite not having "it all" and two people I know there were not valedictorians nor did either have a 1600, but both were ranked number 2 or so (i.e. had one B, I think, or one less AP than number one) in their rather competitive high schools and had strong SATs and a lot of good ECs. I'm all for shooting for the moon, but only if you have some sort of rocket rather than a sling shot. So many people will tell people what they want to hear rather than an honest opinion of what they suspect the odds to be. How many people at MIT do you know who had a B average in 10th grade including a C (or C+), had no leadership positions before 11th grade, weren't stars on any athletic team or talented at an instrument or first place in a statewide or national or international competition, etc.?

By Binks (Binks) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I'm at MIT too now, and I can tell you that since I got here, I've met many people who's stats are nothing like those of the people who post here. Don't get me wrong, these people are still incredibly intelligent and talented. However, I'm glad that MIT looks past these generic stats. They weren't valedictorians or straight A's, in fact, I've met several who had straight B's and C's and 12something SAT scores. And to tell the truth, some of them are smarter than any 1600 student. The point is, MIT has all types of people -- public school, prep school; straight A's and C students -- I'm rather glad that they didn't go straight for the numbers. It makes the student body here more interesting that way. So don't fret about your chances of admission. Numbers won't get you in and won't keep you out; it's the person that counts. I know it sounds really corny, but once you get past the admissions process and look at it from the otherside, you really figure out how silly the whole thing is, and all the time you spent worrying could've been better spent elsewhere.

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

whoa! some impressive info over here. thanx magenta, binks and quaerboy 2. i've seen people thinking mit as of michingan institute of technology or mexican institute of technology or someother possibility. just to clarify, i'm talking about massachusetts institute of technology, cuz i dont want someone telin me that its really easy to get in and after long time i realize they were talkin about somethin else

By Desigothic (Desigothic) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

anyoen else? i still need more evaluations since the results of evaluations i got till now are mixed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page