My chances a junior want stanford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: My chances a junior want stanford
By Airforce (Airforce) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Hi, Wondering if anyone else has taken college classes in high school. i went to a stanford tour and the main admission director said college classes in high school are valued much higher than AP classes. I have taken

College: psych 1A , chem 30A, Stats or math 5
got A's in all classes
These classes where all night classes

I am taking these because at my school pop 3100
my class 846, no ap's in frosh or soph allowed.
3 ap in junior year and 5 senior.
you take six classes total per year

I have taken the hardest courses possible at my high school so far

SAT 1400 m750 v650
sat 2's writing 700 math 2c 710 bio 650

rank 10 ou of 846
wt gpa 4.5

i am taking academic decathalonan di am the treas
fbla pres
i am taking 2 ap this year and 4 next year

explorer program 124 hrs commun service

i am getting my pilots license in 6 months when i turn 17.

this summer going into senior year i will be in a nasa internship

have already worked with san fran state U
on a national health protection project

how do i stand out my chance getting into stanford????

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:24 pm: Edit

A good one. Unique EC's and good scores. AMke sure to display that in the essays.SAT II just a tad bit low so might want to retake ( even though they don't require them). Excellent Shot.

By Magenta (Magenta) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Also seems like you have a good shot to me, mostly because your ECs are the run of the mill ones people see together over and over again.

I find it interesting that the admissions director said college courses are valued much higher than AP classes - I would think this would depend entirely on which college it was. I know for fact (from people who have done both) that many community colleges have classes far easier than AP classes of the same topic. I suspect some 4 year university classes which aren't first tier would be the same (though it would again depend on the specific college). And does Stanford has a maximum number of credits you can have earned in college and still be eligible for the freshman scholarships (not sure if Stanford even has merit scholarships, but if they do, look into this)? Some colleges have a rule where if you have 12 college credits earned, you can't be seen as s freshman but only as a transfer student and they don't allow people to just say, "Well, okay, don't count one of my courses then." Be careful here, though with just three courses taken so far, you are likely fine.

Good luck to you!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page