Chances of a Chinese apply as international

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Chances of a Chinese apply as international
By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Hello,I am a high school student in China,considering to apply an US university.I didn't take any TOEFL or SATs yet,but I expect to take TOEFL on Oct and SAT on Nov.I am quite confident about my TOEFL(quite sure to get a 640+) and SAT Maths(I got 800 in the official sample test).But SAT Verbal is my nightmare,because of the vocabulary,and I expect to get only about 500-550.Other Status:
Rank 15 at a grade of 600(a top high school in my province).
Special Prize in National Student's English Contest.
1st Prize in National Olympics of Informations,with a best ranking 10th in China.
Outstanding Student in the province.
the only student represeniting "New Generation Youth" of the my city.
Editor and student incharge of the school broadcasting station.
Won different prizes in maths,English speech,Chinese speech,Chinese poem reading,singing contests of the city...
And because I already won the first prize in national olympics on information four times since 7th grade,I am qualified to go to some top Chinese universities without any entrance exams.
Broad interests,especially in computer programming(I wrote a pascal compiler in more than a thousand lines of code),so I may choose Computer Science as my major.

Okay,what are my chances to get in an ivy with full financial aid.And if the chances are low,what other good universities that may give me an offer with financial aid?
Thanks!

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

mmm....you will not get full finaid to an ivy league school. There are few who offer it to internationals and those that do, i doubt would give you 40k. You will need to take LOTS of loans, if you can get them.

By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

I know few universities offer finaid to internationals but it seems most ivy schools do.I want to know how much would a low SAT verbal hurt my chances since English is my second language.I could take SATIIs and those tests seem to be too easy for me,and perhaps my TOEFL score may do some help.So,what are chances?

By Istalam (Istalam) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Consider good schools LIke university of texas, texas a&m, university of michigan, Georgia Tech, Carnegie mellon (high end), They can give you the money, and they are great colleges with tons of funding money.

By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Actually I am interested in the schools that Istalam listed,but I have already checked their websites and found NONE of them provide financial aid for international students.It seem to be a rule that public universities with a name like "** state university" or "university of **(state)" never provide finaid for intl. applicants. Am I right? And what will Adcom do if I don't submit a SAT score(There is no SAT test centers in China,so I have to go abroad to take a test)?

By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

I am especially interested to hear from other Chinese who applied successfully as an international undergraduate.Comments from other people are also welcomed!

By Istalam (Istalam) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Hmm im not sure about that, refereing to the state universities. And no not always, Because University of Pennsylvania is certainly not a state university ha ha. Umm yes u are right that they do that. Best advice, is definetely email counselors there. They will let u know. Its worth a shot. I mean what if Utexas says yes we do offer scholarships. Its worth a try.
Best of Luck

By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 07:21 am: Edit

Is it proper to send an E-mail to admission office with my status and ask about the information(probably chances for)admission and finaid?

By Istalam (Istalam) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Sure it is. Dont really ask for chances of acceptence. You will see if they encourage you to apply or not. But say do i have a realistic chance? Sure its proper. I highly recomend that.

By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Bump?

By Sturmstiger (Sturmstiger) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 07:15 am: Edit

My essay is posted on the "admission" page, "Help:My essay(1st draft)". Please take a look and evaluate my chances. Thanks!

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 09:23 am: Edit

EC: great

Essay: suck

Awards: impressive

board tests: suck

overall: impressive

Your chance for the "big names" are slim. I'll recommend Johns Hopkins for you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page