My chances at Northwestern University?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: My chances at Northwestern University?
By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Hello all. Here's the scoop for me and Northwestern:

Applying early decision
White (NO minority)
Male

GPA: 3.93 (but rising)
SAT: 1380 (with more dates scheduled)
SAT II: Pending
ACT: Pending
AP: 9 total classes, passed all exams
Extracurricular: Jazz, marching, and concert band 4 years (section leader and equipment manager 2 years, first chair 3 years); solo and ensemble (district and state, 4 years); journalism 1 year; orchestra 1 year; Pre-IB and IB program 2.5 years; National Honors Society 3 years

Also, there are at least 3 other people applying from my school. All three are female minorities with higher GPAs.

So what's the verdict?

By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Ah, here's a better version of my resume:

WASP Male
Small, southern town
Journalism major/Music minor
Early DECISION

GPA: 3.938
Class Rank: 57/517 (top 11 percent)
SAT: 1380 (710 verbal; 670 math); taking it again
SAT II and ACT: Pending
AP: European history, 3; music theory, 4; American history, 3; English language, 4; American government, 3
Senior Schedule:
AP Economics
AP Psychology
AP English Composition
Honors Band VI
AP Statistics
Orchestra II
Journalism
Introduction to Astronomy (at a community college for college credit)
Pre-IB and IB: 9, 10, 11

Honors: Perfect score on FCAT math and writing sections; National Honors Society (3 years); All-County honors band (11th grade); solo and ensemble district level superiors (3 solos, 1 quartet), excellents (2 trios); solo and ensemble state level excellents (2 solos, 1 quartet), good (1 solo); Academic Team (1 year)

Extracurriculars:
Marching band (4 years); section leader, equipment manager
Wind Ensemble (4 years); 1st chair 3 years
Jazz band (4 years); 1st chair 3 years
Saxophone lessons with UCF Sax professor (3 years)
Orchestra (1 year)
Journalism (1 year)
Lead role in independent film
Wrote, acted in, and helped produce 2 independent films
Maintained and wrote for website (3 years); wrote for website (1 year)

Also, 3 other people from my school are applying. They are all female minorities with higher GPAs than me.

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

You have a great chance if you can geet good SAT II scores.
PS: Was Music Theory hard. I'm pretty accomplished on an instrument too, but am a little worried

By Enosis (Enosis) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Ah, my teacher wasn't too great. I know I could have gotten a 5, but he didn't cover a few key things (modes, secondary dominants, cadences--make sure your teacher covers them!). If you can tell the intervals and sing relatively on-key, you will definitely pass, and if you pay even a little attention in class you will get a 4 probably.

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

Your stats look quite good for NW, or for most other colleges out there, for that matter. If you can score in the 1400s in the October tests, I'd say you've got a fine shot of getting in by December.

However, I'd recommend that you refrain from using the term WASP to describe yourself (in essays or in speech) in the future. You already stated your ethnicity once in your first post; you didn't need to mention it twice. Being white isn't necessarily an advantage at most colleges, but overemphasizing it will certainly turn it into a disadvantage.

By Enosis (Enosis) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

I didn't mean to post twice, actually. The original was too old to edit, and I felt the second post described me more accurately.

The fact that I am white has me a bit worried: if I was a minority, I would be a bit more confident. That is the only reason I even mentioned my ethnicity.

By Calgone421 (Calgone421) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

when you say your GPA is 3.93, is that weighted or not weighted? That will be make a big difference

you know who...

By Enosis (Enosis) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, my 3.93 is weighted. But according to Northwestern, they recalculate GPA anyway, depending on the application, and taking school and classes into consideration. (What's your GPA, hotshot?)

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

What's your unweighted GPA? That's the only one that matters.

You'll meed to raise your SAT around 70 points. Get at least a 32 on your ACT.

It's a tough school to get into, but you are qualified and have stats that can compete with kids who are just like you.

By Enosis (Enosis) on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Somewhere near 3.45-3.5 unweighted GPA.

By Enosis (Enosis) on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

*ahem*

"Bump."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page