Would these be helpful ? and to what extent ???!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: September 2003 Archive: Would these be helpful ? and to what extent ???!
By Bahaa (Bahaa) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I was trying to complete my EA application to Yale when I ran through several questions I needed advice at.
Any one who thinks he could help , please answer the following questions :
To what extent would the following be helpful on a college application ?
1- having an A on a Yale College course in a summer program and a great Yale Professor's recom.
2- Having 1/2 your high school education outside the US in one of the best prep schools in the Middle East, (note : primary language of instruction : english , other important languages of instruction : french , arabic)
3- language spoken at home is not english !
4- Being a first-generation applicant , i.e. your parents, grandparents, uncles etc.. have never went to college ..
5- improving your SAT verbal score by 250 points (first time : 470 , second time : 640) and improving the overall score from :1180 to 1430, would this be worth mentioning , would the 470 decrease the chances , or what do you think ?
6- Being of racial category : other .
7- if your answer the career goal question : Research and Education ,
8- Having part time jobs , in direct contact with customers (customer service type)
9- 7 AP courses by graduation (in 2 years only)
10- Calculus II course for college credit
11- A long list of ECs and awards.
12- being resident of the same county as Yale ? maybe same city too ?!
13- going to Yale open houses and information sessions?

------------ so what do you think , all opinions are greatly helpful , thanks for your particiapation.

By Bahaa (Bahaa) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

and by the way , I am not gonna recieve a rank from my school , because they have this policy that they don't rank any one who hasn't been in the school for 5 semesters (3 years usu.) do you think this has a very big effect ? (they would still send a letter saying that had this kid been ranked he would have been second or third or whatever) ..

By Bahaa (Bahaa) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

and yeah , another thing , my transcripts from my previous school have low number grades * they had this policy that no student is a writer, scientest, professor, or a philosopher so the highest average possible is a 17 which means that you are a genius (over 20 of course) and I usually got between 16.5 and 17.1 _ going between 1st and second , ending up 2nd .

By Jugheadjones (Jugheadjones) on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

These things should on the whole work to your favor.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page